First composition for theremin

Posted: 1/10/2020 9:02:33 AM
Peter Theremin

Andrey Pashchenko is considered the author of the first work written for theremin and orchestra.
The premiere took place at the St. Petersburg Philharmonic, solist Lev Theremin.
Andrei Pashchenko himself is a representative of the St. Petersburg composer school, was a student of Steinberg, Rimsky-Korsakov’s son-in-law (among the students of Steinberg were also D. Shostakovich, Yu. Shaporin, G. Ustvolskaya).
Despite the great creative heritage, it was not possible to find a single recording of Pashchenko’s music or information about the performance of his music in recent decades.
Music of Pashchenko sounds in a number of Soviet films.
January 11 in the St. Petersburg Philharmonic will be held the second premiere of "Symphonic Mystery" after 96 years. Unfortunately, the original score has not been preserved. But thanks to Olesya Rostovskaya, who reconstructed the "mystery" from the surviving draft composer and gave this work a new sound and new life.
If you will be in St. Petersburg this Saturday, you have a unique opportunity to attend the premiere of the reconstruction of "Symphonic Mystery"
On the photo: Andrey Filipovich Pashchenko and Olesya Rostovskaya.
https://philharmonia.spb.ru/afisha/311901/

Posted: 1/11/2020 1:06:45 PM
coalport

What an exciting event! And Olesya will be great! I hope someone will be there with video equipment.

Posted: 1/16/2020 12:55:02 AM
coalport

Here is a video of a rehearsal for the performance of Paschenko's SYMPHONIC MYSTERY with Olesya playing the theremin.

Posted: 1/16/2020 2:36:32 AM
oldtemecula

I am musically challenged but think the overall orchestra was very good. The tuba must be using Thierry's bass mod. For the Thereminist I kept thinking here let me give you your own magical sound as what I heard Paul Tanner could have performed, then again he rose to legend status in my neighborhood.

Christopher 

P Termen one day we will chat, fb I do not understand how it works. Tell Valery hello and that it is like summer here. LOL

Posted: 1/18/2020 1:26:05 PM
coalport

The performance in the video above was a rehearsal, so it shouldn’t be judged too harshly. IMNSHO, the theremin was buried by the orchestra and at times was barely audible. The orchestra is first rate, and it should be pointed out that the manuscript Olesya discovered was the composer’s arrangement for piano and theremin. That is all that has survived. The orchestration (aka “reconstruction”) was done by Olesya herself and I think she did a super job.

Posted: 1/18/2020 1:58:04 PM
DanielMacKay

As long as we're criticizing, the recording also leaves MUCH to be desired.

I love that the theremin part was a little nuanced.  There are a lot of compositions where the instrument is presented as the big weird extreme thing and everyone else stops while it takes the centre stage. In this piece, while it does have a couple solo sections, it very often plays along with the orchestra just like any other instrument.

Posted: 1/18/2020 10:01:46 PM
Peter Theremin

I am musically challenged but think the overall orchestra was very good. The tuba must be using Thierry's bass mod. For the Thereminist I kept thinking here let me give you your own magical sound as what I heard Paul Tanner could have performed, then again he rose to legend status in my neighborhood.Christopher P Termen one day we will chat, fb I do not understand how it works. Tell Valery hello and that it is like summer here. LOL

Dear Christopher, Glad to hear from you. Be sure, I will pass hello to Valery from you. I hope that soon Natasha Theremin  and I will meet him! We will be in touch with you!

Posted: 1/18/2020 10:03:39 PM
Peter Theremin

The performance in the video above was a rehearsal, so it shouldn’t be judged too harshly. IMNSHO, the theremin was buried by the orchestra and at times was barely audible. The orchestra is first rate, and it should be pointed out that the manuscript Olesya discovered was the composer’s arrangement for piano and theremin. That is all that has survived. The orchestration (aka “reconstruction”) was done by Olesya herself and I think she did a super job.

a small excerpt from the concert.

https://www.facebook.com/thereminrussia/videos/2663178370578507/

Posted: 1/19/2020 5:42:33 AM
Valery

Peter, thanks for the Facebook link! I told you that someone with a camera will come to the concert! Now I have an idea about this event. And who is sitting on the gallery? Painfully familiar faces! (Although far away)

Posted: 1/20/2020 12:56:18 AM
Peter Theremin

Peter, thanks for the Facebook link! I told you that someone with a camera will come to the concert! Now I have an idea about this event. And who is sitting on the gallery? Painfully familiar faces! (Although far away)

Valery, who is sitting on the gallery? Masha is also interested. And at the concert there was a landing of the Theremin School. Thanks to them we recieved this record  .

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.