Guide for composing for theremin

Posted: 4/28/2020 5:23:48 PM
DanielMacKay

Hi!

A friend, a professional musician, says he wants to write a piece for me which will be an accompaniment for a quite pretty tune called "Da Slockit Light"

Now I know that the tmn is traditionally the solo instrument, but it's my instrument, and I want to play accompaniment too, so this is quite a nice favour.

For all of the instruments of the orchestra, there is a written guide for composers: FOR EXAMPLE for flute or violin or oboe or anything:
* this is the high note for most players, this is the high note for exceptional players, 
* these intervals are easy, these intervals are hard
* you can't play less than sixteenth notes
* etc etc.

He's seen me practice and play so he could guess, but I'm sure a guide would be interesting and useful to him

If you know of such a thing for our instrument, please let me know.

Posted: 4/28/2020 6:47:47 PM
RoyP

Daniel,

so far as I know there is no standard notation to write theremin music.

I have seen various forms:
the actual notes on the stave where the theremin plays the given notes for the melody...
Squiggles, lines and dots superimposed on the given notes on the stave...
Squiggles, lines and dots on the stave...
Squiggles, lines and dots...
Squiggles..

quite often the stave/squiggles can be annotated with comments on how the squiggles should be interpreted for dynamics, loudness, style etc etc etc.

By the way, in case anyone wants to know Da Slockit Light, here it is, a lovely tune, By Tam Anderson, it's writer.

Da Slockit Light

Posted: 4/29/2020 9:16:42 PM
DanielMacKay

Thanks RoyP!  My friend's daughter found this accompaniment which I'll work on for now: http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/125271

Posted: 4/29/2020 11:02:16 PM
DreadVox

An overview for composers and music lovers - Carolina Eyck
An overview about the things you need to know when you are composing for the theremin

Posted: 4/29/2020 11:58:16 PM
DanielMacKay

oh awesome, thank you DreadVox! I had seen this a couple years ago but forgotten about it! It's perfect!

Posted: 7/3/2020 1:41:08 PM
ClementRudder

Hello! I'm new here. I read your messages and I can say that this is all very interesting. Thank!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.