Etherwave volume too sensitive.

Posted: 7/2/2020 6:48:02 PM
rheo

I have a Moog Etherwave and am having troubles with it because the volume is so ON/OFF.   There is very little room between where the sound is audible and when it's at max volume..  

How can I adjust this so that I have more room to play?

Posted: 7/2/2020 11:24:23 PM
oldtemecula

I know you hope for an answer but the EWS is not my specialty, I know the flaws, the reason I completely re-invented it.

The way your volume works I can understand if it did not completely quiet the sound due to poor tuning, but abrupt off as you mention concerns me.

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com

Posted: 7/3/2020 4:01:04 PM
bendra

If you haven't tuned the L11 circuit,  see this video https://youtu.be/AllJZSuB-uc

Posted: 7/3/2020 11:05:10 PM
oldtemecula

That brute force method of grabbing the pitch antenna has never made sense to me. The modern EWS Pitch side is tuned to about 286 kHz. If that is the series antenna tuning frequency then you want to tune L5 oscillator to be slightly above this frequency, maybe 296 kHz.

You can determine the antenna series circuit frequency by tuning L5 and watching for the maximum p-p voltage about the antenna with a scope. Then tune L5 to be a bit higher in frequency.

Check the linearity and then try maybe 300 kHz to see if it is better. You never want the Pitch oscillator frequency to be below what the antenna series circuit frequency is.      286 khz is only a guess, yours may be 270 kHz.

If the Pitch oscillator is tuned slightly below the series antenna tuning you will get a distinct flat spot in the pitch field response or linearity.

The EWS linearity surprisingly can be quite good.

Zero beat has nothing to do with linearity or the antenna tuning.

Edit: Then tune L6 pitch and then L11 for the best volume response.

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com

Posted: 7/5/2020 6:39:07 AM
rheo

Alright.  thanks.  I'll try to check those adjustments.   never opened my etherwave before...  

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.