Claravox Centennial Theremin - Post Your Thoughts Here

Posted: 10/25/2020 4:39:09 PM
dewster

"I think its ugly, I don't like the hessian fabric finish, how are you going to clean it?"  - Lee Harries

I can see this link ending up in the Claravox Centennial troubleshooting FAQ:

https://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Burlap

Posted: 10/25/2020 5:16:46 PM
pitts8rh

I rarely lol, but that is hilarious!

Posted: 10/25/2020 6:11:14 PM
dewster

Posted: 10/25/2020 9:19:08 PM
edavid

Well, I found a 20% discount code for Prymaxe.  It is BOO20.  It didnt work when I tried to order but a friendly customer service  rep helped my via chat and I got the theremin and the stand for $1,399.00.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Their pre-order policy is a little funky though:

https://www.prymaxe.com/pages/pre-order-policy

"cancellations made after 48 hours can be refunded for store credit only"
"Our 45 day return policy starts from the date of purchase, including pre-ordered items"
"If the pre-ordered item arrives outside of the 45 day window from when you ordered it, you will have 7 days from the arrival date to send it back for store credit (minus original shipping cost) or a replacement."

Posted: 10/25/2020 10:26:30 PM
hypergolic

I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered one with the stand. Can I afford it right now? No.... Do I want to miss out on a pro-quality theremin? No.... I kicked myself for years for not getting a Pro when I could; that's not going to happen this go-round.

Philip 
(Fleep)

Posted: 10/25/2020 10:31:03 PM
hypergolic

Aftermarket covers perhaps? I wouldn't want to leave this uncovered when set up. Scotchgard????

Posted: 10/25/2020 11:15:11 PM
DiggyDog

I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered one with the stand. Can I afford it right now? No.... Do I want to miss out on a pro-quality theremin? No.... I kicked myself for years for not getting a Pro when I could; that's not going to happen this go-round.Philip (Fleep)

I feel your pain.

I did the same thing when the EW Pro came out and again when they announced the final run with the wood backs.

Posted: 10/26/2020 1:42:17 AM
dewster

"I talked to Moog Music this morning.  They say they are not going to make any more after the pre order period is over."  - DiggyDog

Does anyone else think this marketing practice is a bit... strong-armed?  Pre-order only and that's it, take it or leave it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone who does decide to buy it, the Theremin market is pretty spotty and weird, and at some point you have to take whatever they're giving whenever they decide to offer it.  And for all I know this could be the Theremin many have been looking for, so grain of salt, godspeed, and for all my kidding around I am truly hoping for the best for you.

But they're forcing folks to buy it sight unseen, with no manual, with somewhat uncertain specs, and before anyone who isn't connected to the company in any way can even properly review it.  This after they arguably screwed the pooch with the Theremini.

Posted: 10/26/2020 2:31:21 AM
johnthom

I remember when Lydia Kavina was enlisted by Moog to demonstrate the Theremini.  Then I remember playing one, the response delay made it unplayable in my opinion.  I couldn't get rid of the thing fast enough.  It was shortly after that I traded up from an Etherwave standard to an Etherwave Pro for a ridiculous price but I have never once regretted it.  After 4+ years I still play almost every day.

Now we have the superbly talented Gregoire Blanc demonstrating Moog's latest theremin attempt.  My interest is more around looking for a backup since I know the life of my Etherwave Pro is limited given the age of the electronics (electrolytic capacitors, etc.).  However, without a solid review from a known player that addresses things like response time, field size and effects of range on timbre I won't go for it.  

I also won't be blackmailed into buying something unknown, untested, unreviewed under the threat that this is a limited run. 

Fool me once.

Posted: 10/26/2020 10:00:59 AM
pitts8rh

"I talked to Moog Music this morning.  They say they are not going to make any more after the pre order period is over."  - DiggyDog

That would seem odd because if they start shipping in December I would think that would be the end of the pre-order period and the start of regular ordering, even if there is still a wait period.  So that would mean the pre-order period is from now until they start shipping, and that's an awfully short window.

But assuming that they do continue with sales into 2021, how long do you sell a "Centennial" edition before it becomes outdated?

"I also won't be blackmailed into buying something unknown, untested, unreviewed under the threat that this is a limited run." -johnthom

That's the prudent thing to do.  I would have held off too if I already had an EW Pro in hand. Aside from what appears to me to be an awfully tight pitch field on the Claravox, it seems that huge movements are needed on the volume side with a lot of hand flapping to go from max volume to cutoff.  That could just be his preferred response.

For me at least I'm hoping that there is at least some of the EW Pro DNA in the analog portion of this thing, and the digital side can just be a little icing if it works.  And if they blow this (after the Theremini) it's probably not going to help their reputation if they have any plans to come out with a professional instrument down the road. 

Disclaimer: I should add that having never owned a Theremini I probably shouldn't echoing the negative impressions of others as I just did, and I know that this general attitude has offended and scared off at least one recent prospective newcomer to this forum.  From Moog Music's viewpoint it may very well be a commercial success even though it may not live up to some of our expectations.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.