A digital theremin built with off-the-shelf components

Posted: 1/22/2021 2:50:16 PM
dewster

You'll probably be able to compensate for small metallic grounded things in the pitch field.  The main issue is getting metal near the coils and having that mess with the inductance / damp oscillation.  I've seen a metal alligator clip connected to close to a ferrite choke kill analog oscillation (it seems the long leads are there for a reason).

The 20x4 LCD general operation doesn't seem to disturb anything, but I saw some minor interference when I was updating it at the encoder sample rate of 12Hz, so now I only update it (again, at 12Hz) only when the displayed data needs a refresh.  Your idea of doing this at some integer sub multiple of the sampling / synth rate is a good one, and is probably the best you can do.

If you have an audio DAC you can gain access to in your Theremin, try running the pitch axis number out of it and recording / monitoring / analyzing that with audio software.  That helped me a lot early on to squash internal interferers.  I found that pre-processing the number with a 4th order 10Hz or so digital high pass filter was necessary to get rid of DC, which allowed easier analysis (this filter doesn't have to be very scientific or fancy, it could even just be a cascade of first order filters).  You can learn a lot just listening to the resulting signal, and an FFT will reveal even more.

One other surprising interferer was from the audio synth, the FPGA logic draws quite variable current depending on what's going on with the audio processing, and this made its way back to the oscillators (in my system the FPGA is an integral part of the oscillators).  I killed that by making the axis number low pass filters variable, the cutoff of which dependent on the output filtered value.

Posted: 2/5/2021 6:50:42 PM
Channel Road Amps

Dewster, that's a clever idea to listen to the signal as audio.  I recently read about that technique being used in another hobby of mine, building racing quadcopters.  Their flight controllers have gyroscopes to monitor the rotations of the craft around each axis.  Vibration from the motors is a big problem, and there's all kinds of digital filtering in the flight controller software to reduce the vibration noise in the gyro readings while keeping the useful part of the signal.  Apparently listening to the gyro signals as audio is helpful for optimizing the filtering.

I've got the pitch gauge integrated into my theremin software and working OK, except for some apparent bugs in the display itself that cause it to crash occasionally.  With the display positioned (just mounted with blue tape for now) where I want it, it doesn't cause noticeable interference.  So that's the good news.

But I ran into a problem that you may have encountered yourself.  Suppose I silence the theremin by putting my volume hand near or touching its antenna.  Then I find the first note of the piece using the pitch gauge.  When I then move my volume hand away from its antenna to sound the note, the pitch changes quite a bit.  This is caused by the volume antenna making my body "more grounded" so that it influences the pitch antenna more.  (I confirmed that the problem goes away if I wear a grounding strap.)  The pitch change isn't particularly noticeable just from the sound, because the volume is very low when the pitch deviation is the worst.  But it makes the pitch display much less useful for finding the first note of the piece.

Did you find a solution for this?  I guess one fix would be to expand the volume field so that cutoff occurs when the hand is farther away from the volume antenna.

Posted: 2/5/2021 10:02:29 PM
dewster

"Did you find a solution for this?  I guess one fix would be to expand the volume field so that cutoff occurs when the hand is farther away from the volume antenna."  - Channel Road Amps

Volume sense is switchable on the D-Lev, and I use the reverse of normal, where closer is louder.  But the field is adjusted so that my hand never gets closer than maybe 6" from the volume plate.  I don't like getting very close to anything on the Theremin for fear of bumping it and making it (and therefore the pitch) wobble.

I recommend that you insulate your antennas.  It's an easy thing to do, and it helps protect the components against ESD.

Posted: 2/6/2021 2:41:36 AM
Channel Road Amps

Volume sense is switchable on the D-Lev, and I use the reverse of normal, where closer is louder.

That would definitely solve the problem.

But the field is adjusted so that my hand never gets closer than maybe 6" from the volume plate.  I don't like getting very close to anything on the Theremin for fear of bumping it and making it (and therefore the pitch) wobble.

OK, I think that's what I'll do.

I recommend that you insulate your antennas.  It's an easy thing to do, and it helps protect the components against ESD.

Good idea.  Thanks for the advice!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.