xmas present

Posted: 12/25/2020 4:58:46 PM
alex

I just received a Theremin for xmas. I know it needs an amp to practice with. Amazon has an orange crush amp. Is that ok to start with? Also can I just plug in headphones into the instrument to hear what I am playing or do I need the amp?
Thanks 
Alex

Posted: 12/25/2020 5:33:35 PM
Ruslan

I just received a Theremin for xmas. I know it needs an amp to practice with. Amazon has an orange crush amp. Is that ok to start with? Also can I just plug in headphones into the instrument to hear what I am playing or do I need the amp?Thanks Alex

Hi. I would choose among keyboard amplifiers, they are better suited for theremin than guitar amplifiers.
Yes, you can play with headphones.

Posted: 12/26/2020 4:37:14 AM
CB Thereminist

Congratulations on the Christmas theremin! What a wonderful gift! Which model is it?

A couple of things. First, do note that to play with headphones, you'll need a pre-amp for your headphones as well. And in my experience, it does not sound nearly as good as coming out of a speaker. Not to mention the interference from the wires... I dunno. I don't hear others complain much, but it isn't my cup of tea.

I'd recommend a PA speaker or an acoustic amp of some sort, as that's what worked for me. A Bose S1 Pro is a great PA speaker to start off with, especially if you find one used. If you want to go a bit more expensive, I love my Fishman Loudbox Artist acoustic amp. I'd just caution you that, when it comes to sound, you generally get what you pay for - and you'll likely want to get sound equipment you'll enjoy hearing beyond the first couple of days if you plan on playing longer-term.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.