Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 1/14/2022 1:56:29 AM
gingercat

Just received my Claravox. It is supposed to be a left handed model, (what I ordered), and even says so on the box, but the antenna receiving plates are set up for right handed playing. Very disappointed, I have waited a year for this. Guess it will go back for fixing.

It might be worth checking that model number on the box is the same as the number on the CVox - it almost sounds like the wrong one ended up being packed

Posted: 1/14/2022 2:41:54 AM
ellenm901

Yes it was the same. We are sending it back. I'm sure they will make it right. 

Posted: 1/14/2022 3:55:47 PM
dewster

"Just received my Claravox. It is supposed to be a left handed model, (what I ordered), and even says so on the box, but the antenna receiving plates are set up for right handed playing. Very disappointed, I have waited a year for this. Guess it will go back for fixing."  - ellenm901

If you're handy at all I believe you can do this yourself by switching the plates and oscillator boards.  But it might require re-calibration, which Moog hasn't revealed to anyone how to do.  I guess I'd send it back too and let it run their latest repair / update gauntlet.

Posted: 1/14/2022 5:12:01 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

If you switch the plates does the volume antenna still slant toward player properly?

Posted: 1/14/2022 5:27:27 PM
ellenm901

I just sent it back to them. I would not be comfortable even trying to attach the antennae because I do not know if the wiring inside is set up for left or right hand playing. They will have to look and see if it is a mislabeled right handed instrument or a left handed model with the plates in the wrong places. 

Posted: 1/14/2022 5:51:37 PM
dewster

"If you switch the plates does the volume antenna still slant toward player properly?" - YM

Good question!  Try plugging your volume loop in upside down and see what happens.

"I just sent it back to them. I would not be comfortable even trying to attach the antennae because I do not know if the wiring inside is set up for left or right hand playing." - ellenm901

There are just 4 screws holding the back on, super simple to remove it.  For a lefty I assume the cables going to the oscillator boards should crisscross; they don't for the normal righty version.

Posted: 1/14/2022 6:00:44 PM
ellenm901

That's good, it sounds like an easy fix for them.  Hopefully it will be shipped back to me soon.

Posted: 1/14/2022 7:29:58 PM
hudri

If you switch the plates does the volume antenna still slant toward player properly?

Yes it does, the brass shim where the antenna locks into is machined on both sides to accomplish just this.

Moog got some things quite right with attention to detail. And messed up with some blatant oversights at the same time.

Posted: 1/14/2022 9:40:58 PM
dewster

"Yes it does, the brass shim where the antenna locks into is machined on both sides to accomplish just this."  - hudri

Thanks for that info!  So you should be able to just swap the plates and oscillator boards to change the handedness?  This doesn't swap the positions of the front panel pots though, I wonder if the lefty instruments from the factory do that?

"Moog got some things quite right with attention to detail. And messed up with some blatant oversights at the same time."

Other than the antenna connectivity fiasco, and the stand issues, the physical design seems OK.  IMO they retained too much of the opaque / complex / changing too many parameters at once Theremini calibration, and released buggy beta software.  Something this digital could really use a $1 LCD display, and proper encoders rather than pots pressed into service as such.  Perhaps it should have been 100% analog, with no "Modern" mode - an updated & improved EPro, but in the Cvox cabinet.

Posted: 1/16/2022 7:23:38 AM
gingercat

"Yes it does, the brass shim where the antenna locks into is machined on both sides to accomplish just this."  - hudriThanks for that info!  So you should be able to just swap the plates and oscillator boards to change the handedness?  This doesn't swap the positions of the front panel pots though, I wonder if the lefty instruments from the factory do that?"Moog got some things quite right with attention to detail. And messed up with some blatant oversights at the same time."Other than the antenna connectivity fiasco, and the stand issues, the physical design seems OK.  IMO they retained too much of the opaque / complex / changing too many parameters at once Theremini calibration, and released buggy beta software.  Something this digital could really use a $1 LCD display, and proper encoders rather than pots pressed into service as such.  Perhaps it should have been 100% analog, with no "Modern" mode - an updated & improved EPro, but in the Cvox cabinet.

I have wondered if long term they might produce 2 models of the CVox 1 full analogue and 1 full digital

As for a display - I think the idea was that you'd have the CVox connected to a tablet and wouldn't need a built in display. The app is actually really good at displaying all the settings before it crashes that is

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.