New Theremin - Rare Model?

Posted: 11/25/2021 12:02:55 PM
EtherwaveCat

Hi guys I would like to introduce myself here, I have just obtained an etherwave theremin. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with!

As you can see below, the power supply is for 5 pin lead, which did not come with the instrument, so I am trying to track one down. Currently chatting to a distributor in the UK after the moog help desk sent me that way.
Fingers crossed they can help, but if not does anyone know where I could find one? 

The other thing missing is the metal attachment for a mic stand. Are these available anywhere? There are three screw holes in the bottom of the unit.

Finally, the ‘Bob Moog’ signature is in small and on the front of the box, as opposed to on the top as I have seen in lots of images on the internet.
Is this some kind of rare old model?

Any information on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ! 

Posted: 11/25/2021 2:41:03 PM
Flounderguts

Looks more like a MIDI port, rather than a power plug...maybe there is another power inlet?

Microphone stand adapters are easy to come by...most musical instrument suppliers will have something, depending on how you want to mount it.

Posted: 11/25/2021 5:00:29 PM
RoyP

This is a power socket.

Thomann seem to supply the appropriate device here

My EW is the same although it has a different PS to the one Thomann supply.

Posted: 11/25/2021 5:20:25 PM
dewster

"Looks more like a MIDI port, rather than a power plug...maybe there is another power inlet?" - Flounderguts

Every EW and Big Briar I've seen uses a 5-pin DIN for power.  The adapter provides AC, with the rectification and regulation inside the EW.  I really don't know why Moog didn't go with a standard barrel connector here, to only needs two conductors to get power and ground in there.

Posted: 11/25/2021 6:01:06 PM
EtherwaveCat

Thanks for the replies!

I have been assured that a 3 pin power supply will work with this, after speaking to the suppliers. 
Next I just need to find the right metal ring for attaching it to the mic stand.

Thanks guys!

Posted: 11/26/2021 11:32:58 AM
Spider76

Yes that's the power socket, the Etherwave does NOT have any MIDI port.
And the correct power supply model is the one linked by RoyP, the EW will not work with any other adaptor. Note that the plug is NOT a standard 5-pin MIDI plug, it has only 3 pins.

As for the microphone stand adapter, you can see it in this pic. It looks like a pretty specialized piece of metal, I don't think it's a standard shape you can find in shops. Better ask your Moog distributor if there's a spare part that can be purchased through them.

Finally, I have no idea about the Bob Moog signature, but just guessing...is it a Moog Music Etherwave, or a Big Briar model? It should be written on the sticker with serial number. Big Briar was the company founded by Bob when after selling the original company he went back in the synth business, but did not have anymore the rights to the Moog name. When he reacquired them, the company name was changed back to Moog Music.

Posted: 11/26/2021 12:53:23 PM
dewster

"And the correct power supply model is the one linked by RoyP, the EW will not work with any other adaptor. Note that the plug is NOT a standard 5-pin MIDI plug, it has only 3 pins."  - Spider76

Ah, yes, I forgot about that part, 3-pin DIN plug to 5-pin DIN socket, so strange.  A barrel connector on the front metal plate would have spared every owner tons of frustration taking the top on and off for tuning.

"As for the microphone stand adapter, you can see it in this pic. It looks like a pretty specialized piece of metal, I don't think it's a standard shape you can find in shops. Better ask your Moog distributor if there's a spare part that can be purchased through them."

Google (or duckduckgo) "female microphone flange".  Atlas makes the AD-11B and AD-11BE and you can buy them from Parts Express, Amazon, etc.

"Finally, I have no idea about the Bob Moog signature, but just guessing...is it a Moog Music Etherwave, or a Big Briar model? It should be written on the sticker with serial number."

IIRC the Big Briar Etherwave I worked on had the text "Big Briar" on the printed circuit board inside.

Posted: 11/26/2021 3:07:36 PM
Spider76

aaah, I had no idea the microphone flange was so easy to find, thanks for the tip!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.