Museum search for help to set up Theremin

Posted: 1/31/2022 12:56:40 PM
M Wessel

Dear Theremin Community,

we have a theremin in our exhibition for our visitors to try out. Unfortunately, we cannot tune the theremin so that it no longer beeps. We know that the location of the Theremin is inconvenient. Now we are looking for someone who would help us to set up the theremin. Our location is Dortmund, Germany

Posted: 1/31/2022 3:46:39 PM
dewster

"Pitch antenna shouldn’t  be over table. Cut table under pitch antenna and try again."  - Yngvox Moogsteen

I disagree, the Etherwave can be tuned to sit on a wooden table, particularly if it's just a demo for the general public.

If they don't want to expose the knobs, what they really need is a self-tuning Theremin, but the D-Lev in sculpture mode is the only one that I'm aware of.  Non-traditional closer=louder volume is nice for a demo setup too, keeps everyone from going crazy hearing the thing wheedle away when no one is around.

Posted: 1/31/2022 10:58:33 PM
oldtemecula

I completely agree the D-Lev is the best approach in a museum. Many years ago I set up a theremin for kids but used remote tuning so when the museum docent heard it she would remotely bring it back to Null. The volume control side was bypassed as being On - https://www.oldtemecula.com/pennypickle2/

Posted: 2/2/2022 6:40:52 AM
M Wessel

"Pitch antenna shouldn’t  be over table. Cut table under pitch antenna and try again."  - Yngvox MoogsteenI

Did I miss a part of the conversation?

I disagree, the Etherwave can be tuned to sit on a wooden table, particularly if it's just a demo for the general public.

Yes, we tried that, but not with all the stuff around it like now.

If they don't want to expose the knobs, what they really need is a self-tuning Theremin, but the D-Lev in sculpture mode is the only one that I'm aware of.  Non-traditional closer=louder volume is nice for a demo setup too, keeps everyone from going crazy hearing the thing wheedle away when no one is around.

Thank you very much. We will look into it.

Posted: 2/2/2022 7:08:47 AM
M Wessel

Is it possible to get a D-Lev theremin?

Posted: 2/2/2022 2:20:02 PM
dewster

"Did I miss a part of the conversation?" - M Wessel

Yes, Yngvox Moogsteen deleted his post for some reason.  Which is why I always make it a point here to embed the thing I'm responding to.

"Is it possible to get a D-Lev theremin?"

I'd love to be able to help you, but I can't at the moment unfortunately.  Supply chains to the US are currently a mess, and the FPGA board has become quite scarce and expensive (aging out?  bitcoin miners?  grrr...) so there's a waiting list.  I'm trying to scrape together enough parts to make another measly 14 or so but Amazon and eBay have inexplicably sent a couple of my packages to Texas and Virginia (and don't get me started on FedEx!).

Pitch is the main problem with unattended use, it might be possible to modify the Etherwave with a small processor that looks at the pitch difference and constantly but very slowly nulls it (the oscillator null is actually a voltage control point, which would facilitate this).  The D-Lev can optionally do this, and the null rate is actually bi-modal to quickly adapt to an empty room.  It also nulls the volume for closer = louder to totally shut the thing up when no one is around.

Another possibility is putting an OpenTheremin in there, with a special software load.  I know of two Theremin World members who have worked on the OpenTheremin code, Thierry and Mr_Dham (Vincent), but I don't know if they can assist you in this regard or not.  The code is open, so you might be able to get someone else to help you modify it, and I think this is perhaps your best, easiest, and fastest solution.

What you really need (and what all Thereminists really need) is something like the OpenTheremin but with higher voltage fields and more processing power.  Vadim (Buggins) has been working on that here: http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/32640?post=215938#215938

Posted: 2/2/2022 3:29:09 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Is it possible for a museum staff to be near Theremin to demonstrate and assist guest trying theremin?  If moved away from the wall does the theremin tune properly(zero beat)?  I thought maybe that’s what you meant by saying you couldn’t make beep go away. Seems the pitch antenna is very close to wall and monitor from the picture.  If pitch antenna is given space and someone can attend theremin I hope it works.  I think people will love your exhibit if you can fix problems.  Maybe a  theremin player will volunteer to demonstrate and assist.  That would be fun.  Good luck...

Posted: 2/2/2022 7:06:04 PM
oldtemecula

Any theremin will have this drift issue. In my museum the room temperature at open is 60 degrees and at close 80 degrees F. A theremin needs intelligent pitch tuning over the course of the day. A processor (not easy) or a human is needed. Again this is a fun responsibility of the museum docent.

Find yourself a local electronic hobbyist, download this schematic.  You can take the three wires off the Pitch potentiometer and re-connect through a 1/8" or 3.5mm TRS cable up to 100’ to the docent desk where the replacement Pitch tuning potentiometer is mounted. Shielded cable not necessary.

With the volume bypassed (ON) you could also use a separate 100’ shielded TS cable to bring the sound (Amp Out) to the docent desk. You might mount the theremin on a microphone stand, slide a larger PCV pipe over the mic stand post so all the wires can run down inside and under the carpet. Take all the knobs off and creatively cover the control panel.

To keep the Volume sound ON all the time, at the 8-pin strip, jump or short VCA-Out to Pin #1 Ground next to it. Remove the loop, not needed.

You do not want to have any after-market base mod so the theremin has a wider Zero Beat locking window.

(anyone verify this?)

Posted: 2/2/2022 7:46:02 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Your ideas are great.  I was just wondering if someone at the exhibit is available in room to monitor.  I do think moving away from wall will help initial posted problem, maybe.  But if possible your ideas would solve additional problems that might arise. Exposing public to theremin in a good setting can do nothing but increase interest in theremins.

Posted: 3/3/2022 7:23:14 AM
M Wessel

Sorry, I have been off from work for some weeks because our son was born.
Thank you very much for the replys.

Is it possible for a museum staff to be near Theremin to demonstrate and assist guest trying theremin?  If moved away from the wall does the theremin tune properly(zero beat)?  I thought maybe that’s what you meant by saying you couldn’t make beep go away. Seems the pitch antenna is very close to wall and monitor from the picture.  If pitch antenna is given space and someone can attend theremin I hope it works. ...

Maybe there can be someone, but I'm not sure if we can train them to demonstrate the Theremin. It works without problems if it isn't so close to the wall.

Any theremin will have this drift issue. In my museum the room temperature at open is 60 degrees and at close 80 degrees F. A theremin needs intelligent pitch tuning over the course of the day. A processor (not easy) or a human is needed. Again this is a fun responsibility of the museum docent. Find yourself a local electronic hobbyist, download this schematic.  You can take the three wires off the Pitch potentiometer and re-connect through a 1/8" or 3.5mm TRS cable up to 100’ to the docent desk where the replacement Pitch tuning potentiometer is mounted. Shielded cable not necessary. With the volume bypassed (ON) you could also use a separate 100’ shielded TS cable to bring the sound (Amp Out) to the docent desk. You might mount the theremin on a microphone stand, slide a larger PCV pipe over the mic stand post so all the wires can run down inside and under the carpet. Take all the knobs off and creatively cover the control panel.To keep the Volume sound ON all the time, at the 8-pin strip, jump or short VCA-Out to Pin #1 Ground next to it. Remove the loop, not needed.You do not want to have any after-market base mod so the theremin has a wider Zero Beat locking window.(anyone verify this?)

Thank you. We will look into this

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.