Best Music Genres for the Theremin

Posted: 2/10/2022 4:03:11 PM
CuDragon

Hello,

Theremin newbie here and I am curious what genre of music is best suited for the theremin?

Thanks

Posted: 2/10/2022 4:25:41 PM
moonlightdog

Hey CuDragon,

the answer is bluegrass! Hope it helps

Posted: 2/10/2022 6:28:45 PM
dewster

"Theremin newbie here and I am curious what genre of music is best suited for the theremin?" - CuDragon

For beginners (like me!) even if you're not particularly religious, I'd recommend trying some hymns and holiday songs.  They're usually aimed at lay singers, so they tend to be simple and slow and have a limited range - and you probably already know a ton of them (lucky you!).

In general, songs that call for / allow a lot of glissando are often a good match for Theremin playing.  And you're generally looking at solo type works for monophonic instruments.  I don't know if any of this correlates well with any particular genre.

Posted: 2/10/2022 11:46:00 PM
CuDragon

Hey CuDragon,the answer is bluegrass! Hope it helps

Coming from a mandolin background I would say a theremin in bluegrass would be interesting. Though probably not a welcome addition to the genre.

Posted: 2/10/2022 11:51:53 PM
CuDragon

"Theremin newbie here and I am curious what genre of music is best suited for the theremin?" - CuDragonFor beginners (like me!) even if you're not particularly religious, I'd recommend trying some hymns and holiday songs.  They're usually aimed at lay singers, so they tend to be simple and slow and have a limited range - and you probably already know a ton of them (lucky you!).In general, songs that call for / allow a lot of glissando are often a good match for Theremin playing.  And you're generally looking at solo type works for monophonic instruments.  I don't know if any of this correlates well with any particular genre.

Thanks. This sounds like a good place to start. Would coral music be a good choice for the theremin? I am trying to figure out what type of sheet music to target?  I have a background in mandolin and using violin sheet music for that.

Posted: 2/13/2022 8:33:57 PM
bisem

There are some easy to play operatic arias.  Google them....there are probably a few you already know even if you are not an opera fan. 

Posted: 2/15/2022 4:19:19 AM
cellomike

Hello,Theremin newbie here and I am curious what genre of music is best suited for the theremin? Thanks

Hi CuDragon - It depends what kind of music you want to play.  For more of a classical focus, here are some good IMSLP links (exercises and solo pieces):  

Progressive exercises/studies:                                       https://imslp.org/wiki/Progressive_Studies_for_Theremin_(Kram%2C_Richard) 
Theremin arrangements (with synth accompaniments):  https://imslp.org/wiki/Theremin_Arrangements_%26_Accompaniments_(Kram%2C_Richard)

Lots of other possibilities out there as well - hymns, opera arias, vocal pieces, etc.  
Hope this helps!

Posted: 2/21/2022 1:17:33 PM
CuDragon

Thanks everyone this is what I was looking for.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.