Gregoire Blanc's Theremin Setup

Posted: 11/16/2022 5:32:53 PM
Aduviel

Having been inspired by Gregoire Blanc's Youtube videos; I have been practicing with my newly acquired Cvox; but I need help in isolating why my Claravox does not sound the same as his; such as in this video:

Several questions follow:

1. I use the headphone output on my Cvox with some cheap earbuds (I practice in my quiet apartment); is this the primary reason?
2. Can my body type/shape affect the sound of the theremin to the point where I would not be able to emulate the sound in the video with only a stock Claravox and no other audio equipment?
3. Does anyone know if Gregoire is using a custom timbre in all of his Claravox/EWPro videos?
4. Does anyone know if Gregoire is sending his audio through other amps/equipment? And if so, what does he use?

Posted: 11/16/2022 6:03:11 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

You will like your sound better coming out of the main output through a good amp.  I would also like to know some of the settings he uses.  The editor has some sounds from Grégoire.  The Claire de lune sound doesn’t seem to be the same as he uses in video.  He uses great output gear including custom speakers.  Find a good amp.
Have fun.

Posted: 11/17/2022 5:16:54 PM
Aduviel

You will like your sound better coming out of the main output through a good amp.  I would also like to know some of the settings he uses.  The editor has some sounds from Grégoire.  The Claire de lune sound doesn’t seem to be the same as he uses in video.  He uses great output gear including custom speakers.  Find a good amp.Have fun.

Any recommendations for an amp that would get the Claravox sounding closer to his setup?
Would an EQ on an amp help in this case?

Posted: 11/17/2022 5:49:53 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I really don’t know.  I think he uses a Marshall tube in some video.  I split my signal in two and run one into a bass amp and  one a keyboard amp. I sometimes use a Bugera 5 watt tube.  Ask other theremin players. Lots of opinions..

Posted: 11/18/2022 8:40:36 AM
Thierry

Many beginners oversee that the perceived sound of a theremin does depend less from the setup and settings, and most from the playing technique, especially from how the right hand does transitions between notes (aerial fingering) and how the left hand is used to shape musical phrases without „pumping“ each single note.

Many years ago, there was a video snippet on YouTube where Lydia Kavina played a simple melody on a Gakken Mini Theremin. The Gakken Mini was a very cheap and crappy DIY pitch-only theremin kit, sold together with a Japanese electronics magazine and it sounded horrible (small integrated speaker overdriven by distorted square waves) in the hands of most people. But as soon as Lydia played it, one forgot immediately about that and one heard Lydia‘s typical expressive playing style (even without volume control!) which made forget all the above constraints. 

That proves the teaching of professor Martenot (inventor of the famous „Ondes Martenot“) who said to his students about his instrument : „In front of you, there is a box with electronic components and controls which produces only cold and unnatural sounds by itself. YOU are the musical instrument which modulates these into music!“

From which I deduce (and that confirms my own experience) that no setup can replace years long practicing and tuition by an experienced teacher. Nowadays, the internet can be of great help with tutorials and instruction videos. But nothing can replace one to one lessons at least from time to time, where an experienced teacher analyzes the weak points in your stance and playing technique which may limit or block your progress at some point and indicates individually adapted exercises to guide you towards better results with less effort.

Your first instrument should not be too simple or too cheap, so that you don‘t feel limited or get frustrated. The Moog Etherwave Standard or Plus, or the recent New Etherwave are well suited from the beginning to a very advanced level. And they haven‘t all the whistles and bells which could distract the player. They are honest because they don‘t mask anything and force them into serious work.

Posted: 11/18/2022 3:47:40 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Always enjoy post from Thierry.  Hope you’re working on a Claravox register fix for analog side.  Player and Theremin join to make joyous sound, hopefully .  Bad playing can’t be overcome by any instrument.  I know settings won’t improve my playing.  I would like to get a more violin like sound.  I think I know what you mean about the straight forward simple characteristics of the etherwave freeing you to learn.  Thanks for all you have contributed to Theremin World and the world of theremins.  I try to learn a bit each day.  The joy of playing makes practice a pleasure.  It would be great to have access to teachers in midwestern USA.
Thanks again.
Have a great day.

Posted: 11/26/2022 9:47:48 PM
bisem

Many beginners oversee that the perceived sound of a theremin does depend less from the setup and settings, and most from the playing technique

I agree.  I have seen some beat up Etherwaves on YouTube that sound as good as any theremin out there due to the artist's ability.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.