Douk Audio Theremin

Posted: 11/30/2022 9:53:22 PM
ekahn

Appears to be a new digital theremin design floating around Amazon, eBay, and Aliexpress. Can be had for under $60 shipped - haven't seen too much discussion online yet. There's a video demo on the linked webpage, and another one on Aliexpress.

I chose a bad picture, there are jacks for both volume and pitch antennas.

Guessing Cortex M0+ STM32 or clone thereof based on the lack of visible chip markings on the microcontroller.
That said, if it turns out to be an Atmega328 we can probably assume they ripped off Open Theremin. Hope that isn't the case.

I'm an analog novice but I've definitely been curious about how far it would be possible to strip down the base theremin design with a solid understanding of modern low-cost ARM microcontrollers - for instance, could they be hacking the built-in capacitive touch processing hardware to reproduce the heterodyning? A lot of these Chinese gadgets also tend to be quite open and hackable, and usually showcase some interesting emergent digital design trends. Things like these tend to get even more interesting if you can figure out how to disassemble the firmware, or even convince them to open source it.

To be clear, I am expecting this to be unusable as a performance instrument, which is where my personal interests lie. That said, if the designers are clever, there's no reason this thing can't beat the Theremini, which is a slap in the face at $300, on every important spec at 1/5 the cost. Certainly at $60 it has higher potential to act as a 'gateway drug' for beginners.

I did order one from eBay and will share my findings when it arrives, perhaps there will be some nice easter eggs on the silkscreen. Looking forward to being more fun at parties.

Posted: 11/30/2022 10:18:44 PM
oldtemecula

This is the problem with people wanting to turn the beautiful Theremin Phenomenon into a digital gimmick, they just do not get it. Anyone doing serious research in digital has difficulty competing with mass production non-sense.

Christopher

Posted: 12/1/2022 1:54:18 AM
dewster

"Certainly at $60 it has higher potential to act as a 'gateway drug' for beginners."  - ekahn

There's really no reason a good analog or digital Theremin couldn't sell for $100 or less.  Very little in there, but does require some engineering and musicianship chops behind it (the rub).

"I did order one from eBay and will share my findings when it arrives, perhaps there will be some nice easter eggs on the silkscreen. Looking forward to being more fun at parties."

Great!  We need more tear-downs around here to breathe some life into the place.  And be sure to let us know if the MOSFETs are properly heat sinked!

Posted: 12/1/2022 4:35:33 PM
ILYA

"Guessing Cortex M0+ STM32 or clone thereof based on the lack of visible chip markings on the microcontroller.
That said, if it turns out to be an Atmega328 we"

Seems that is Gigadevices GD32F xxxx, the pin-to-pin (not full!) clone of STM32.

Posted: 12/1/2022 4:57:18 PM
ILYA

Probably GD32F130C6T

Posted: 12/12/2022 6:02:04 PM
bisem

Dewster, I await your report with most anticipation.  I is literally a stocking stuffer! 

Posted: 12/12/2022 7:16:42 PM
dewster

bisem, it will be ekahn's report.

Posted: 12/13/2022 10:04:31 PM
ekahn

Dewster, I await your report with most anticipation.  I is literally a stocking stuffer!

Full thoughts to come, but.... as expected, not recommended. :/ I'll try and hack it a little bit this weekend but it's far from a smash hit out of the box.
If you're looking for an inexpensive theremin-like object for a kid (or young at heart), I highly recommend the Otamatone Deluxe!

Posted: 12/14/2022 11:06:15 AM
dewster

"Full thoughts to come, but.... as expected, not recommended."  - ekahn

Too bad.  I could tell from the video that it was almost certainly going to be a bust.

"I highly recommend the Otamatone Deluxe!"

A chatty tear-down here with more commentary on physical than electronic construction: https://youtu.be/3jsAT_p-Qww

Wish they'd shown more detail of the fingerboard resistor and PCB.  It would seem all notes quickly gliss up to pitch from some minimum frequency?

[EDIT] Schematic, less yaky teardown.  Wow, discretes!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.