I'm very lost, help or advise would be much appreciated

Posted: 2/20/2023 5:18:32 PM
Jamakukku

Hi everyone,

I've owned an Etherwave Standard with ESPE01 for years, but haven't had the chance to play it again until recently

I feel over and underwhelmed at the same time, if that's even possible
I don't even know where to start, or if it even bother

I know what people say: you need to invest yourself in the topic, which is quite wide. You need to educate yourself around it, do the hard work research, etc
And while I want and try to do those things, I can't help but feel lost and stupid
I have zero experience in electricity - I don't even know how I managed to solder the ESPE01 back in the day

I'd like to invest myself into learning to properly play, but I feel like my Etherwave is almost a toy - if that makes sense

You hear all of these things about pitch linearity, zero-zone, Maurizio's amazing video at calibrating, etc...

Then the issues that, for instance, a "professional" model such as the Claravox go through

I feel a bit hopeless at the moment, if you couldn't tell

I'd like to get my hands on a theremin and I've been doing some research, but again, I can't know

What are your thougts on this? Much appreciated
So far I've only kind of looked into D-Lev

There's many theremins out there, almost hidden on the internet, and it's hard to come by more info

Sorry for the rant
I wish to whoever reads this how good it would feel to me to have an answer, a human connection of some sorts at the moment

P.S: at first, I got excited to see the Claravox on the market (still at this point, I mean). But then I don't know how people feel about it or if the issues have even been solved - for all I know they haven't.
Then, I'm considering a career change into carpentry, so it would also be cool to design my own case, eventually

Thank you so much for your time and kindness

I'm laughing at myself, being 30 tomorrow and writing this on here hahaha
Well, that's something

Posted: 2/20/2023 6:34:23 PM
DreadVox

Hi Jamakukku,

The Standard Etherwave, or the Plus, they are really ok to learn on, with or without ESPE01.
If you didn't have a theremin yet I would say look at the Open Theremin V.4, Burns and/or Lostvolts 4, or if you have the kind of budget for the new Moog Etherwave or even are considering a ClaraVox, for a digital theremin the D-Lev might be a better choice and for an analog one a Subscope.

Personally I'm glad I could cancel my initial order of a ClaraVox once the first production models came out and their multiple issues revealed, and subsequently ordered and got a Subscope, and within the initial budget for a ClaraVox and a stand got a Subscope, an EHX Stereo Talking Machine FXpedal ad a new good acoustic amplifier.

I hope this is somehow useful to you. Wishing you a happy birthday tomorrow!

Posted: 2/21/2023 9:04:24 AM
Spider76

AS Dreadvox says, you already have all you need to learn theremin. Your Etherwave is definitely not a toy: it's actually one of the most popular theremins ever, and probably the most successful and widespread ever (with the possible exception of the Theremini, which however IS a toy and not a professional instrument).
I'm afraid that by looking at other theremins, you risk going on an endless search and being unsatisfied every time. 

Unfortunately there is really no easy solution: the theremin is a difficult instrument to learn, the only way is to put in the time (I'm still a beginner too, and I had my Etherwave for 2 years now!).

I'd suggest to check out the many excellent tutorials you can find online: Carolina Eyck, Thomas Grillo and Kip Rosser all have produced some great educational series.
For a few bucks you can also buy Carolina Eyck's book: as far as I know, it's the only available rigorous theremin method, inspired by the didactic books for classical instruments. I've been studying on it and while it's not easy at all, every time I master a new exercise I can really feel the progress in my technique!

Posted: 2/21/2023 6:58:27 PM
bisem

The Etherwave is a very capable instrument especially with the ESPE01. You will see many top tier thereminists on YouTube make it sound like a million bucks. The only thing lacking is a dynamic volume response (ability to play extremely soft notes) but really not an issue for the most part.  I am selling my Claravox as soon as I get around to listing it.  I thought it would enhance my playing but it is more confusing with all that is going on with it.  Use YouTube as you source for basic lessons an techniques as mentioned by Spider76 and eventually develop you own style. I do like Kip Rosser's style.

Posted: 2/22/2023 5:32:51 AM
bendra

...on the other hand, someone is selling an ePro in another thread :-)

Posted: 2/24/2023 4:08:25 PM
ekahn

Is the problem that the instrument has gone out of tune? 
It's certainly possible to step away from it for a while and forget what it "should" sound like. 
After I opened mine for the first time i messed up the pitch and volume field calibration and left it that way for a long time. It was not very rewarding to play until i opened it up to fix and re-read the instructions carefully some months later.
If it doesn't seem like it's set up correctly, maybe post a video of sweeping your arm through the pitch field and folks here can assess how it sounds.
Can't help you on motivation though  Except to suggest: record your playing, add a backing track and get comfortable listening to it until you hate it less. 

Posted: 2/25/2023 12:13:47 PM
Jamakukku

If you didn't have a theremin yet I would say look at the Open Theremin V.4, Burns and/or Lostvolts 4, or if you have the kind of budget for the new Moog Etherwave or even are considering a ClaraVox, for a digital theremin the D-Lev might be a better choice and for an analog one a Subscope.

As I said, I have and Etherwave with ESPE01, but I appreciate the recommendations. Thanks a lot!
I've heard the new Etherwave's quality is rather plasticky, though.

Personally I'm glad I could cancel my initial order of a ClaraVox once the first production models came out and their multiple issues revealed, and subsequently ordered and got a Subscope, and within the initial budget for a ClaraVox and a stand got a Subscope, an EHX Stereo Talking Machine FXpedal ad a new good acoustic amplifier.

That's unreal. I shall research more into Subscope as well as the other ones

I hope this is somehow useful to you. Wishing you a happy birthday tomorrow!

It was. Thank you for the wishes. Your answer and the others really lifted me up : )

----

with the possible exception of the Theremini, which however IS a toy and not a professional instrument

Funny enough, that was my first theremin and without any experience on having played one in the past, I already could tell it wasn't very professional, haha

I'm afraid that by looking at other theremins, you risk going on an endless search and being unsatisfied every time. 

This is something I've thought about and I'm slightly worried.

I'd suggest to check out the many excellent tutorials you can find online: Carolina Eyck, Thomas Grillo and Kip Rosser all have produced some great educational series.
For a few bucks you can also buy Carolina Eyck's book: as far as I know, it's the only available rigorous theremin method, inspired by the didactic books for classical instruments. I've been studying on it and while it's not easy at all, every time I master a new exercise I can really feel the progress in my technique!

I've done all of this in the past, though they're great  recommendations and reminder of how good it would be to check all of it again.

I also acquired her book when I first got my Etherwave too.

----

...on the other hand, someone is selling an ePro in another thread :-)

What a coincidence.

It actually looks like a very good offer.
I'd consider it if I wasn't living in a housing crisis country at the moment (Ireland) where I can barely afford to live.

----

Is the problem that the instrument has gone out of tune? 

This is exactly what triggered me posting here.

That and acknolewding acknowledging that there's still Claravox on the market.
It's purely FOMO, like many people have/had with Etherwave PRO.

After I opened mine for the first time i messed up the pitch and volume field calibration and left it that way for a long time. It was not very rewarding to play until i opened it up to fix and re-read the instructions carefully some months later

So, I've been doing some research but I'm not entirely sure yet.

I've seen seveveral videos about calibrating, including the one mentioned by Maurizio.

If it doesn't seem like it's set up correctly, maybe post a video of sweeping your arm through the pitch field and folks here can assess how it sounds.

I think this is what I'll do before jumping into anything.

The main problem I have is that when I calibrate it to 0-Zone - at my arm's reach distance - the octave distance is extremely long; meaning I can't play Carolina's system
Then, I proceed to shorten the pitch field in order for me to play with her system.
The problem is, once I do this, the pitch field is extremely short, meaning I'm one hand away from the antenna; which is obviously not sustainable or ideal by all means.

Also the linearity of the pitch field is weird, having much shorter distance between higher notes and longer distance in lower notes.

I do warm up the Etherwave for 20' before playing.

I'm not entirely certain, but I think it's plugged in into earth.
The power cable is EU, connected into an EU multi-socket which is then connected to an UK converter.
The amp and pedals are also EU and are connected to the same multi-socket.

I might post a video as suggested for the ease of things : )

Thanks again to everyone who answered
You don't know how much it made my day to read your words
This is a wonderful community

Posted: 2/26/2023 12:53:51 PM
JPascal

The rather "plasticky" design of the new etherwave is imo because of the better isolation and no capacitance with respect to wooden materials. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.