Recording Technique

Posted: 5/15/2006 11:56:09 AM
rupert

on my behrenger 1206 pfxpro

by the aux 1 send on each chaneel is a "pre" button - press it and then press the mute button by the volume fader and the signal will not go to the main out but just to the aux outs depending on how you have them set.

now all you would need is a mixer with the capability of routing the aux channel and the main channel to a seperate bus that can be patched to the headphone out.

my mixer doesn't have that. if you hear the muted channel through the headphones, the uax also goes out the mains.

i think that a spot monitor or seperate amplifier would be easier and cheaper.
Posted: 5/15/2006 3:23:44 PM
Marble Field

Well, that's probably because the headphone output is permanently fed from the main stereo path of the mixer. The auxiliary bus must have an output somewhere on the back of your mixer. You only have to connect a headphone amplifier to that output to hear directly the aux bus.
Posted: 5/15/2006 3:29:38 PM
Marble Field

On the mp3 conversion issue, I use CD-Ex (http://cd-to-mp3.audiolaunch.com/cd-ripper/). It's fast, versatile and freeware...
Posted: 5/15/2006 6:22:00 PM
kkissinger

Marble, great pic! Terrific mixing console.

[i]edit 6/17/2007: Since the time of this post I have swapped out my entire recording apparatus. Thus, I no longer use these exact methods to record anymore. -- KK[/i]

~~ mp3 production ~~

I'm using Audacity to create .mp3's from .aif files.

The process is kind of clutzy because my PC doesn't have a digital interface (such as s/pdif). I mixdown to an Alesis ML9600 (24 bit) then copy the .aif file to a CD. Then I can read the CD from my PC into Audacity then save it as a .mp3.

~~ sequencing and recording ~~

I am sequencing /tracking with Cubase Audio Falcon. I sequence all my accompianment tracks -- driving my synths from the sequencer. Cubase keeps the audio tracks in sync with the sequencer tracks, thus I record the Theremin to track(s) on the Falcon.

~~ signal split for recording ~~

The solo output on the Mackie goes to my "room stereo/speakers" -- nothing fancy, the same stereo system I've had for many years. It is a decent consumer system.

The main L/R buss goes to the ML9600 and to a pair of Mackie HR824's. When recording Theremin tracks, I monitor the synths and any previously recorded tracks thru the room speakers, send the Theremin signal to the HR824's (which are on stands at ear level) and, via one of the effects sends, to the Falcon Audio Interface. In addition, I use a pitch preview.

~~ mixdown ~~

For mixdown, I mix my synthesizers and the Theremin track(s) on a Mackie CR1604 mixer to stereo which (as mentioned above) I capture on the Alesis ML9600. I monitor on the Mackie monitors and cross-check between K240DF headphones and my consumer system.

I have found, though, that if my mixdown sounds good on the Mackie's, it translates fine to the other speakers.

~~ the future ~~

My dream is to to mix in 5.1 or 7.1. I envision doing electronic music that echos from every direction. My current PA system is pretty "traditional" (left/right mains + subs, and a separate channel for the Theremin). I want to add center and left/right rear channels next year. Oh, and I love playing outdoors.

I hope that before long, some standards for delivering theatre type surround sound will be developed. Imagine listening to "Spellbound" in 5.1 sound!

We may want to start a thread on Surround Sound ... any takers?
Posted: 5/16/2006 2:44:48 PM
Etherdave

My recording apparatus gives me complete control over all aspects of recording and playback; I can use a digital or analogue recording as an accompaniment, mixing into a single track as I go, or keeping separate tracks for editing and mixing purposes. I have a MIDI in/out section that allows me to control samples with my keyboard (a cheap Yamaha MusicStation), so theoretically I could synthesize an entire symphony.

I'm still learning the techniques of home studio, but basically, once you've got it on your PC, the sky's the limit. Make sure your RAM and storage space are up to the task.
Posted: 5/23/2006 1:33:16 AM
Sephsrot

Marble Field do you get any hum from the nkt and 1820??? i'm having a little problems with it... if you have any advice it would be a great help... this is my first time in the field of recording and i'm kind of lost
Posted: 6/5/2006 1:57:09 PM
omhoge

I did lot's of MIDI work, but no software synth stuff. My old MIDI studio is not in my home and I was thinking maybe I could make *rough* intermediate versions of my acc.'s with my laptop rather than having to drag my recording deck around or going to the studio and burning a copy every time I want to try a different tempo or cut out the solo part.

So, I have gotten Cakewalk 8.0 running on my home laptop and got it to play the Windows synth.

Now, how do I actually record this so I can make a CD with iTunes and take it to the theremin room to practice with?

much appreciated gang!
Posted: 5/12/2008 6:27:33 PM
kcolt

i'm planning on recording some theremin for my band's upcoming album. Does anyone have any tips? i've read through the threads here, but they're dealing more with base ideas of recording, programs, headphone issues (i am a recording engineer, of sorts) but does anyone have experience with mic selection, placement, amp or amp modeling?

most likely i will use the Fender Twin Reverb my violinist plays through, but any ideas on mic and placement? or even tone/EQ, since there are times when both violin and theremin are playing and i've found we step on eachother's toes. I have some ideas, just wanted to know if any of you have delt with this and how you delt with it.

thanks!
Posted: 5/12/2008 6:53:35 PM
omhoge

Welcome kcolt!

I'm not an engineer but...
Usually the first amp is right behind my head
before anyone else, and I line out to the house or recording mix.

2 - I've seen others do it, but only once have I done this: mic'd the theremin amp. that time it had to be pretty close, but able to pick up the low range.

hth and keep us posted!

Hopefully some other members will chime in too.
Posted: 5/13/2008 2:13:34 PM
djpb_designs

Hello Kcolt,

I would recommend running the theremin thru a DI box rather than that Twin Reverb. That amp is going to really roll off your low end and enhance the high end (we want those screeching highs for lead guitar!)

If you want to "warm" the theremin's tone, try running it through a tube mic preamp then into the board. You should be able to keep the theremin's output low enough to not clip the tube preamp, but yet high enough to be well above the noise floor.

Don

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.