Left handed theremins?

Posted: 7/31/2009 10:42:54 PM
ThereminNewbie

Hi, before yesterday I didn't know that there was a such thing as a thermin and then I saw one on youtube and now I want one. I just started playing guitar and obviously I have a left handed guitar. I saw a small theremin from Japan on ebay for around $120 with shipping and was going to buy it but it doesn't come in a left handed model. Since I know next to nothing about thermins I was wondering if there are any left handed theremin players here who have left handed units and where I could get one, and what are the disadvantages to turning a standard theremin backwards?
Posted: 8/1/2009 2:50:30 AM
GordonC

Welcome to Theremin World, ThereminNewbie.

Playing from behind, the knobs will be a little hard to reach, and you will find the angle of the loop rather inconvenient - it is supposed to slope down towards the player, not the other way.

In the case of the moog etherwave standard theremin, and some others, It is worth knowing that you do not need to connect both ends of the loop to the fixing points. The one nearer the front (the side with the knobs - for you: the back) can be left unfastened without affecting the instrument's functionality, so you can swing it round to a better angle for playing. It looks a little odd, but it works.
Posted: 8/2/2009 12:41:01 PM
vonbuck

I play left handed and all my theremins are made left handed. With a Etherwave kit, instructions are included to build it left handed and (I believe) you can order a left hand model from Moog, but unless they have one in stock, can take a while.
You can just turn it around and play it, but like Gordon said, you won't be able to access the controls. As far as actually playing, you can approach a theremin from the back. At first it probably doesn't matter about being able to get to the controls, but as you progress it will be bothersome

Posted: 8/7/2009 1:32:58 AM
Dave H

I just received a Etherwave Plus kit and did not get any information with the unit about making it left handed. Before my purchase the shop I ordered from was suppose to ask about a left handed model. The response they got was that Moog was no longer making left handed models. I would love to get my hands on an information about left handed Etherwaves.

thanks, Dave
Posted: 8/7/2009 1:43:32 AM
Thierry

You may contact Wilco Botermans in the Netherlands. He does custom modifications for lefties.

theremin.nl (http://www.theremin.nl)
Posted: 8/16/2009 11:43:42 PM
Dave H

Sorry for slow response.
Was away on vacation.

Thierry
Thanks for info on lefty Theremins.

GordonC
Thanks for tip on volume antenna. It's helpful.

Posted: 9/7/2009 4:00:37 PM
Dave H

vonbuck quote:
“With a Etherwave kit, instructions are included to build it left handed and (I believe) you can order a left hand model from Moog, but unless they have one in stock, can take a while.”
end quote:

Are you aware of where I can get a set of Etherwave kit instructions that describe building a left handed Etherwave. The instructions with my recently purchased Etherwave Plus make no mention of it.
Dave
Posted: 9/7/2009 5:11:28 PM
Thierry

The original Etherwave Standard Kit instructions give no hints for lefties either...
Posted: 9/8/2009 11:23:04 PM
vonbuck

I built my etherwave in 1995. In those instructins, it told you how to build it left handed. I guess later editions didn't think it was important enough.
You need to drill three holes in the bottom and put the circuit board upside down. You need to get and extension screw (?) that gives you about an inch cleareance to keep the board from laying. The drilled holes allows you to adjust the internal circuits, without having to remove the top. Then you just wire it like it was right handed.
The directions had the measurements on where to drill the holes.

Andy
Posted: 9/9/2009 12:57:17 AM
Thierry

It would perhaps not be bad if someone who has still this older version of instructions could scan them...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.