Etherwave Plus, Etherwave Pro, Wavefront Classic to start studies.

Posted: 8/20/2009 3:27:27 PM
Dave H

I’m in the very fortunate position of being able to learn on any of the above mentioned Theremins.

Which Theremin would you start your studies if given the choice?

Etherwave plus (right hand model)
Etherwave Pro (right hand model)
Wavefront Classic (left hand model)

I am left handed so that’s why I mention type of models above.

The questions are?

1. Which Theremin would you chose and why?

2. Would left handed vs right handed model being played backwards have any bearing?
Or is quality, linearity, voicing, or some other attribute more critical in the choice?

Long term goal is public performance.

Thanks,

Dave
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:55:34 PM
omhoge

Those are all fine theremins and each have a unique feel. Left and right handed versions of the same model will play identically. I'd guess you'd be most comfortable with a left handed configuration.
Being able to use your dominant hand naturally is probably more important right now as you start out.
Try out the search all of them have been discussed in the forum.
hope-that-helps.
Posted: 8/21/2009 11:54:02 AM
Dave H

omhoge,

Thanks. Doing more searching now.

I will play left handed. So I will "flip box" around on right
handed models if one of them ends up being the right choice.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

Dave
Posted: 8/21/2009 1:42:44 PM
Etherspiel

All three are good theremins.

The Wavefront can switch to be right or left handed.

The Etherwave Plus is also easy to use left handed.

The Etherwave Pro is not as good left handed. Pamelia Kurstin plays the E-Pro left handed, but she had it specially built that way by Moog.

The E-Pro is the most linear of the three, followed by the Etherwave Plus, with the Wavefront being the least linear of the three.

Each of them has a different sound quality.

Hope that helps.
Posted: 8/21/2009 7:47:53 PM
Dave H

Etherspiel

Thanks for your comments, they are helpful. Specially comparison of linearity
of three Theremins.

I spoke with Gene at Wavefront before placing my order and he mentioned that
the site is a little misleading. The PCB of the electronics is assemble differently for
the left handed model and must be ordered in advance. (Not just easy antenna swap
or rewire.)

(Just received Left handed Wavefront a couple of days ago and it has been better than
expected in all regards.)

I am looking into making the Etherwave Pro left handed. (Dr. Moog himself mentions that the small vertical board lends itself to an easy swap between right hand and left hand model. (But back wood cabinet would have to be changed to hold pitch arm, and
plug in volume antenna.)

You're right about voicing each one is quite different from the other. I don’t have enough experience to have fallen in love with one or the other at this time. The Etherwave Plus seems to have the most limited variation of the three.
(But is was lowest cost by a long shot.)
Posted: 8/21/2009 8:24:43 PM
Etherspiel

I believe if you contact Moog directly, they may be able to convert to left hand if you would like.

Definitely worth calling them.
Posted: 8/21/2009 10:22:37 PM
Dave H

Etherspiel,

Thanks that's a good idea.

I just got done looking at the innards of the Etherwave Pro.

The back wood “box” does unscrew from curved “front panel”. The wires from pitch ant.
and volume ant. are very close to each other at top of board. The pitch choke board would be moved to opposite side. Tough part is where pitch antenna “arm” rotates and locks against contact metal. (Wooden socket.)

I now have to take a look at how they pulled off having the two antenna wires so close to one another inside case. (Circuit design wise.) Now I am very curious.

I will try contracting Moog on Monday. (Fingers, and antennas, crossed.)
Posted: 8/22/2009 4:15:39 PM
Thierry

You may contact Wilco Botermans in the Netherlands www.theremin.nl.

He builds Etherwaves for lefties based on the standard kit. He is a very nice guy and I think he may give you useful hints.
Posted: 8/22/2009 11:01:24 PM
Dave H

Quote Thierry: You may contact Wilco Botermans in the Netherlands End Quote:

Thierry,

Thanks, I’ll check into this as well.

I’ve just been reviewing threads and information about your volume mod for Etherwave Pro. (Interesting.) (I’ve hijacked my own thread!)

Dave
Posted: 8/22/2009 11:16:48 PM
Etherspiel

Dave -

Not to hijack your thread further, but if you are interested in Thierry's mod board, I have one here in Los Angeles that I may be pulling from my E-Pro.

It does not work well in my theremin but maybe you will have better luck with it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.