help buying therimin

Posted: 3/15/2010 3:29:33 AM
fifty-six

OK I have been doing my research after deciding to buy a theremin and this is what I have come up with.

*I have 150-500 to spend.
*I don't really play an instrument but I have an ear for music and can pick up and find notes and play some songs on almost anything I have touched.
*Building one seems to really strike a note with me. The instrument is geek enough already and the kits and self builds add to the geek factor. The Moog kits seem almost to simple to claim I built one but could satisfy my desire.
*I could build even a complex one I think as long as I had detailed instructions.
*building it my self is not paramount just an added plus.
*I will probably never be able to afford a 1000+dollar theremin so this one will be mine for some time.
+I like the look of the PAiA Theremax but I am concerned I have not heard exceptional reviews. Building it and the look seem attractive but I don't want a piece of crap, playability is more important.
The B3 Pro looks super nice and seems to be a good instrument but you all don't talk about it much here is there a reason?
The Moogs seem super cool and playable. The look is not all that desirable but seen to be well crafted. But I do not know what one to buy.
*I have a good guitar amp is that enough to get started?
I am leaning towards a B3 Pro but I have never even seen a therimin in person so my knowledge is limited to the internet.

Help me decide what one to buy.

Thanks

Posted: 3/15/2010 2:44:00 PM
terrymin

Hi Fifty-six, welcome to the world of ether.
Both the B3 and the Moog are great theremins.
I started with the Moog etherwave, mine came ready built but can be purchased in kit form. I am not sure how the warranty works with a kit!.I have since upgraded to a Pro. I can thoroughly recommend the Moog but have never played a B3. a keyboard amp would work better but many people use guitar amps.
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-MOOTHERKIT?source=CJ&AID=10362375&PID=1095380
Discount voucher on home page!!!
Good luck with your hunting.....Terry
Posted: 3/18/2010 6:12:21 AM
coalport

One advantage to the Moog Etherwave theremin is that a lot of knowledgeable people own them and if you need technical advice, or have some sort of problem with the instrument, you can often find what you need to know here on Theremin World. Of course Moog Music stands behind its products but having to ship an instrument back to the factory in Asheville can be a nuisance and end up costing you money.

I had a problem years ago with the Etherwave I had built from a kit. I ended up sending the instrument back to Asheville and you know what the problem turned out to be? The DC adapter had shorted out!

If someone had been able to take me through the simple steps of identifying the problem, I could have saved myself some time & money. Theremin World and the "Levnet" didn't exist at the time.
Posted: 3/18/2010 11:36:14 PM
Dave H

I had build several variations of theremins many years ago.
But around 9 months ago I wanted to start playing a theremin.

I did a lot of research about which theremin to buy and I did not
want to spend too much before "falling in love".
(It was before finding Theremin World.)

My first theremin? An Etherwave Plus. I was led to believe that there were a few changes between the Etherwave and the Etherwave Plus that allow better linearity. Also the addition of pitch preview/headphone output, as provided on the Etherwave Plus was important to me. (I really need the pitch preview.)
I have really not used the CV outputs to control another device so far.

Best wishes in your theremin endeavors.

Dave

P.S. > I don't know where you are located, but "The MIDI Store" provided the best price. You're right the kit is very easy to put together. But be aware that you need to drill a couple of holds in the wooden case if you buy the "PLUS" model.
Posted: 3/20/2010 4:36:11 AM
Joe Max

I play a B3 Deluxe and it's a very nice instrument.

The black Deluxe at $200 is hard to beat. The basic B3 is $50 less, but it's worth the extra money to get the Deluxe.

If you want fancy, they offer a lovely wooden case version.

The B3 has no tone controls, but the sound is very musical and "theremin-like". I use guitar pedals (overdrive, delay, chorus, phaser) to get more of a variety of sounds out of it.

In my experience, Dan Burns has been very helpful and backs up his products.

Frankly, I've never met anyone who owns a Theremax that had a good experience with it. If you want to build a kit, stick to the Moog.
Posted: 3/22/2010 2:54:33 AM
fifty-six

Thanks fro the input.

This is super helpful.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.