The Moog Etherwave Pro volume response: Not longer snappy!

Posted: 6/13/2009 10:32:03 PM
Jeff S

That sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see/hear Mr. Pringle's first video recording using the new mod board.

One small detail....Am I the only one who doesn't know what the cost of this mod is going to be?
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:10:13 AM
Thierry

I also don't know... It's a bit the story of my (financially unsuccessful) life: I have absolutely no commercial character...

I know that I should theoretically calculate the costs by adding the components' prices, the time for manufacturing a module and, at least partially, the time and costs for developing this solution, divided by the estimated number of modules that I plan to sell.

So I could know how much these modules will be worth for me. But will they be worth as much for the buyer?

That's why I decided to ship the first 5 orders (all by very prominent thereminists) without asking for money first, hoping that their feedback will help me in taking a decision.
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:07:15 PM
Thierry

The greatest joy is the joy of anticipation, so find some pics of what I'll be shipping today here:

[img]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/images/all3parts_2_anno.jpg[/img]

[img]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/images/bc_n_jump_a.jpg[/img]

(right-click on the pics and select "display picture" from the context menu, can't understand why they are so shrunk here, since I resized them already to 400x300px...)

[b]A[/b] is the 2pin male/6pin female connector which will be soldered onto the EPro's volume board instead of R67 or any previous modification. 2 solderings, that's all.

[b]B[/b] is the EPVM1345 module (the circuit board is just about 0.8x1.0 inch) with
- [b]B1[/b] the 6pin male connector which will snap into [b]A[/b], keep the backpack module in place and make the connection to the volume board with the outer 2 of these 6 pins.
- [b]B2[/b] the 9pin male conncector which takes either the jumper [b]C[/b] in one of 4 positions or the connector of the pre-wired rotary switch (no pics yet available).

[b]C[/b] is the jumper which can take 4 positions (the module is fool-proof, each non-documented jumper setting will give no volume at all in order to protect the volume board):
1.) original state as with R67 in place
2.) Moog's mod state as with Moog's mod in place
3.) Thierry's mod 1, smoother than setting 2
4.) Thierry's mod 2, still smoother than setting 3

Those who ordered the optional rotary switch will have 4 similar switch positions. The rotary switch comes wired with a ca. 16 inch long ribbon cable and a fitting 9pin female connector which fits only in one position.
Posted: 6/22/2009 5:32:29 PM
fintushel

A little package just arrived from France, hurray! My soldering iron is ready. (The packing inside said "Kevin" on it, so I guess that Kevin's says "Eliot", but we seem to have ordered the same configuration, so it shouldn't matter.)

Ah, ether, here we come . . .

Thierry, in advance, renewed thanks for all your fine work!
Posted: 6/22/2009 5:47:41 PM
Thierry

@Eliot:

Please excuse the false naming inside, the day when I shipped the items was chaotic... You are right, the content is identical.

Overseas shipping went quicker than I thought, so I didn't yet finish writing the installation manual. But since only the last section which deals with re-assembly is missing, I will send you already what I have, so that you may start soldering.
Posted: 6/22/2009 5:59:25 PM
Thierry

For all who may perhaps be interested in it, I uploaded the yet incomplete per-release of the EPVM1345 technical doc and installation manual as a pdf file.

I hope it is understandable, it has been very difficult for me to write all that down in English (that's also why it takes so much time).

EPVM1345 manual (http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/docs/EPVM1345_en.pdf)
Posted: 6/22/2009 8:02:41 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"I hope it is understandable, it has been very difficult for me to write all that down in English (that's also why it takes so much time)."[/i]

Thierry - As technical documentation goes, this is WAY above average..
I would expect a document of this quality to take a long time, even for someone with english as a first language.

I think there is something you need to understand - There are not many engineers with as good a mastery of english as you have.. Most English people I meet are extremely lazy about their language, cannot be bothered to say (or write) things correctly, and often lack the basics.

You take great care - and it shows!
Posted: 6/23/2009 12:02:57 PM
fairplay

...you're much too fast for me...i am far from posting the video we made from the tests of the board...

...sorry...

...and: congratulations!
Posted: 6/23/2009 6:38:18 PM
teslatheremin

Thierry,
I have also downloaded the .pdf file of your Moog retrofit volume correction PC board, and the written English used to create it is very fluent and understandable. You have contributed a wonderful thing to all the Thereminist's that own and play a Etherwave Pro! Congratulations!
Very Good Luck to You!

teslatheremin
Posted: 6/24/2009 3:23:39 PM
Thierry

@all: Thank you for the good wishes! This is really an exceptional community!

BTW: I forgot to mention a good old friend which helped me a lot when working on the module's design:
http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/images/pslide.png (http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/images/pslide.png)
His name is Faber-Castell 63/83 Novo Biplex...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.