Let's Design and Build a (mostly) Digital Theremin!

Posted: 8/28/2021 2:22:22 AM
ContraDude

Dewster: Journey To The Center Of The TunerHad a minor brainwave yesterday to use the center pitch circle LED, which is normally always lit, as a mute indicator, with logic opposite that of the dedicated mute LED, where lit=mute.  So the center LED is dark when muted, and lit otherwise, which doesn't get in the way of using it as an aid to playing.  Like the dedicated mute LED, it also indicates ACAL in progress via a 2Hz flashing (so you can count them to know the progress), and preset write pending via a more frenetic flashing sequence (to get your attention).  My plan was to use the 7-segment decimal place as a mute LED, but this is much more direct and less fussy, plus it dims with the rest of the display.  And it's aided by Roger's notion of making the center LED a different color.  Don't know why this solution didn't dawn on me years ago, it's so simple.  Making 5 LED tuners for the D-Lev kits today and it feels like I'm finally getting back into the groove.

It’s always an important event when a synapse fires! LOL!!! Actually, I think it’s a brilliant idea! I like it - a LOT!!

Posted: 8/29/2021 1:46:36 AM
dewster

Coming to a D-Lev near you Jeff! : https://d-lev.com/support/851a3f95.zip

I can talk you through installing it if you want to give it a try.  The encoders have also been reversed, on the SYSTEM page you'll have to change "Erev" and save your system preset.

Posted: 8/29/2021 3:16:04 AM
ContraDude

Coming to a D-Lev near you Jeff! : https://d-lev.com/support/851a3f95.zipI can talk you through installing it if you want to give it a try. 

You’re such a tease! I won’t be able to try it until tomorrow or Monday 😥 LOL!

Posted: 8/29/2021 2:24:11 PM
Mr_Dham

Sounds like your device got sent to the cornfield ala The Twilight Zone - Dewster
Yes, it is exactly that - LOL. Did recent changes make you second floor more theremin friendly finally ?

The good ideas are really taking shape! Looking forward trying your tuner, LEDs, encoders and LCD...

Jeff, any first impression to make us even more impatient ? 

Posted: 8/29/2021 7:13:28 PM
dewster

"Did recent changes make you second floor more theremin friendly finally?"  - Mr_Dham

I haven't tried the upstairs again since getting back from vacation, but I feel the pitch tracking filter is in a better place to handle internal interference, and the gestural bandwidth tradeoff seems smoother too. 

Yesterday I built up 5 controller boards, today I'm working on the 10 encoder boards and wiring.  I'm also 3D printing the final tuner panel and the first controller panel.  Ordered some more light gray PETG and solder last night.

Posted: 8/30/2021 7:57:25 AM
Mr_Dham

Wow, back in the groove, effectively!
I am always impressed by the highly multi-task process you are following, did you consider hiring some minions ? :-)

Posted: 8/30/2021 4:06:13 PM
dewster

"... did you consider hiring some minions ?"  - Mr_Dham

Minions "R" Us!

Did the encoder boards yesterday, 160 wires to strip, tin, and solder up!  I can see why Roger and Vadim went with a non-cabled approach here.  Broke 4x 8x2 IDC cable connectors until I got the C-clamp technique down (though they're pretty flimsy).

The fourth LCD and encoder panel is printing as I type this, which takes more than 8 hours per.  Had nothing but trouble with this Capricorn Bowden tubing kit:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086YPDHMF

The hole in the tube is off center which led to a lot of friction and extruder slippage ("bunk" sounds during the print), stuck the Ender 3 stock white tube back in and I'm back in business.  The cutter in that kit is lame too, produces a huge angle when you're cutting just a little bit off the end of the tubing.  Not sure about the fittings, but some say they're nothing special.  A downgrade rather than an upgrade, it's going back for a refund.

Still need to stick the LCD and FPGA boards on the main boards, test them, and assemble to the panels.  After that it's on to the coils and AFEs.

An artist is interested in using the pitch side of the D-Lev for an interactive sculpture, which will probably require a special SW load to keep it right at the edge of long distance sensing (a slow auto ACAL, if you will).

Posted: 9/5/2021 5:47:35 PM
dewster

D-Lev Quasquicentennial

Jeff (ContraDude) suggested in fun that I should call the D-Lev kit the "Quasquicentennial" in honor of Theremin's birth 125 years ago, so I added that option to the OpenSCAD logo plate file:

The funky font makes it even funkier looking!  Wow, Theremin was only 24 when he invented the Theremin.

Posted: 9/5/2021 6:13:09 PM
ContraDude

D-Lev QuasquicentennialJeff (ContraDude) suggested in fun that I should call the D-Lev kit the "Quasquicentennial" in honor of Theremin's birth 125 years ago, so I added that option to the OpenSCAD logo plate file:The funky font makes it even funkier looking!  Wow, Theremin was only 24 when he invented the Theremin.

I LOVE IT!!! LOL!!!

Posted: 9/5/2021 8:19:04 PM
Mr_Dham

To think that there are videos on how to pronounce it...
I don't even know if we have a French word for it over here !

I love this idea !

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.