Fishbone on Jimmy Fallon last night

Posted: 6/28/2012 4:12:18 PM
Jason

I hear from the Twitterverse that Fishbone was playing theremin with The Roots on Jimmy Fallon last night.  Anyone catch it?  He's a pretty wild type of novelty player, so I can't imagine he played melodies.  But his style of playing definitely has it's place in his style of music.

Posted: 6/28/2012 11:13:30 PM
mollydad

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/Wednesday-June-27-2012/1408042   

Shuehli Ong posted this on FB.  You can hear theremin on the intro music, then he plays briefly at about 4 minutes into the video...

Posted: 6/29/2012 12:54:24 AM
Jason

Hey, not only did he actually play something of a melody, he took time to explain the antennas and give a little demo.  Much more than I expected.  Good stuff.

Posted: 6/29/2012 10:08:41 AM
Amethyste

Another "performance" displaying the theremin as a noise box :(

Meh.

Posted: 7/31/2012 10:08:59 PM
ChrisC

Another "performance" displaying the theremin as a noise box :(

Meh.

Or as my other half describes the sound of a theremin as a "Meow Box"; sounds like a strangled cat...........................or maybe that's just me and mine   ; )

Posted: 8/1/2012 4:13:50 PM
Jason

Jimmy Fallon is pretty hip.  I bet if we started a write-in campaign to get one of our site members on the show as a musical guest, he'd listen to us.  Any volunteers to be the "candidate"?

Posted: 8/1/2012 11:51:32 PM
Amethyste

Sure... sign me up :P

Posted: 8/2/2012 3:19:29 AM
SewerPipe

Jason:

I second the motion for Amethyste to be the candidate.

IHS ---- Dana

Posted: 8/2/2012 10:10:05 AM
Amethyste

Haha, I am playing with you all... :)

Posted: 8/2/2012 7:29:11 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Or as my other half describes the sound of a theremin as a "Meow Box"; sounds like a strangled cat...........................or maybe that's just me and mine   ; )" - ChrisC

Nah, you are not alone ;-)

But some people really do hate the sound made from any theremin - I think there is something primal which makes some people fearful when they hear pitches gliding without constraint -

I even had one weird encounter at the Royal Festival Hall during the week I was introducing people to the theremin - One man approached me obviously irate, and launched into a tirade about how such demonic things should be banned (Tarot was included in his list, and as he couldnt remember theremin he called them phereomones) - At first I thought that, despite being well dressed (no hobo) he was obviously drunk or drugged - but it became obvious he was neither - just a religious nut!

I have certainly had this reaction from many people when I played the digiridoo - there are people for whom the sound is frightening.. I play (or played) that instrument well, mastered circular breathing and all the "toots" and harmonics etc - I even performed once with a band "Kangaroo moon" who first introduced me to the instrument - Those who like the sound seemed to enjoy my playing - But I frightened the hell out of some kids once with it, and have had religious nuts calling me "demonic".

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.