Therelympics ~ post submissions here :)

Posted: 8/23/2012 5:33:17 PM
coalport

Fred: ......IMO, everything which "has been" had to "have been" - the course is plotted, and we are just acting our respective roles mostly unaware that the script we are following was "written" in the first few moments following the big bang.

Fred, 

Perhaps your writing about what MIGHT have been was programmed into the grand unfoldment of the Cosmos in those first billion trillionths of a second after the Big Bang, predestined down to the last neutrino.

With any luck you'll be able to take it all back during the Big Crunch!

Posted: 8/23/2012 5:46:27 PM
coalport

Jason: We never really planned on making it a competition...... everyone wins :)

I agree with Freddy! This is a great idea. So often during the Olympics I would watch a series of amazing young athletes all looking like gods and goddesses who just descended from Mt. Olympus itself, all of them doing spectacular things, and I would think to myself, "Just give them ALL gold medals!"

The Japanese have the right idea. When one city's baseball team plays the team from another city, the ideal outcome is a tie. Everyone is happy, no one loses face, and a good time was had by all.

Posted: 8/24/2012 12:22:41 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

SERIOUSLY OFF TOPIC! ->

"Perhaps your writing about what MIGHT have been was programmed into the grand unfoldment of the Cosmos in those first billion trillionths of a second after the Big Bang" - Coalport

True.

"any luck you'll be able to take it all back during the Big Crunch!"

I have extreme doubts about the "big crunch"! - It looks a lot more probable that it will be a "big fizzle" - as in, all matter and energy becoming dispersed over such massive distances (by "massive" I am talking about incomprehensible - our present universe less than the "size" of an atom compared to its future coverage - when it even starts to become "dissipated" - gravitational and thermal effects  diminishing and  entropy increasing to its maximal, until at some point it effectively no longer exists .. and extremely long slow "fizzling out"  10000.. fill several notebooks with zeros.. billion years from now )  that particles have no effect on each other - time and space effectively dissipating into the void.... perhaps re-appearing as the quantum froth which bubbles in and out of nothingness in some new universe, as we see quantum froth doing in our universe. * (this is just one of my crazy ideas - no scientific backing for it at all, LOL)  Whatever mechanisms brought this universe into play probably remain, capable of bringing other universes into being - and if this process is eternal, then some time in the "future" we will be talking to each other here - writing the same rubbish, making the same mistakes, blissfully unaware that we have been here an eternal number of times before!

- Which, to me, is a desperate idea - The only "hope" is that in some different universes there will be a different matrix of causal determinants - that in most universes I wont be here, even if TW is, LOL , and that in some universes I wont make the same mistakes - and that in some universes those who never stood a chance in this one will have a better life........ That, over eternity, everything will be "in balance" and "just".

For all we know, this might even be happening now - If there are multiple universes with different matrices of causal determinants existing simultaniously, everything might be "in balance" now.

I sometimes wonder if the above gives Stephen Hawkins the "hope" which helps him to carry on dispite his crippling disability - I know that he fully subscribes to the idea of determinism, and is no stranger to the ideas of multiple universes and the like - The realisation that, even though inaccessible, other universes where one has a differen hand dealt to one may (and probably do / will) exist , probably takes the edge off the desperation which might otherwise overwhelm one.

Fred.

Posted: 8/24/2012 11:31:32 AM
coalport

Cuzzn Fred: The realisation that, even though inaccessible, other universes where one has a different hand dealt to one may (and probably do / will) exist , probably takes the edge off the desperation which might otherwise overwhelm one.

The problem with this is that there are, by the same principle, universes in which one has been dealt an even worse hand than the one that one holds in this universe. As for all those "other" Freds & Peters living in alternate universes (and there may be an infinite number of them living in an infinite number of universes), they are not you and I, so we can take no consolation from the notion that we are somehow doing better somewhere other than where we are.

Perhaps the ancient advaitists were right, and a Universe of infinite universes where all possibilities that CAN exist, DO exist, is simply an illusion. Perhaps this spectacular multitude is in fact only One.

This is perhaps an even more daunting prospect because from the point of view of the One, Pete & Fred don't exist.

I think, as human beings, our only possible salvation does not lie with our innumerable imaginary gods and prophets and messiahs and saviors, nor does it lie with our scientists. It lies entirely with our indomitable sense of humor.

"I cannot believe that oblivion will be disappointing. Love, fame, fortune, LIFE can be disappointing but not good old oblivion. Hurrah for Eternity!" Noel Coward

Posted: 8/24/2012 2:43:25 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

The only things which can be dissapointing are things for which we have expectation - having high expectations for oblivion is probably unusual! LOL ;-) .. Being dissaponted by it when one obtains it, is also, quite unlikely! ;-)

Fred.

"Pete & Fred don't exist." - I am thinking that there are probably readers of our recent "philosophies" who wish we didnt! ;-) ... (sorry for behaving like an evangelical here, and taking what you said entirely out of context.. ;-)

Posted: 8/24/2012 3:26:28 PM
coalport

Pete: "Pete & Fred don't exist."

Fred.

I am thinking that there are probably readers of our recent "philosophies" who wish we didn't!

No doubt. And yet, I find it the most interesting thing we have discussed here in some time! (Time, of course, being entirely illusory like the space it is inextricably bound to).

Posted: 8/24/2012 5:15:41 PM
FredM

I am "redirecting" this shameful hijack of a noble thread to here. (although I havent actually said anything there yet - LOL ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 9/4/2012 3:50:42 PM
Jason

Welcome back @thereminfan9! The more, the merrier. If you feel like sharing your renditions of those anthems, we'd love to hear them. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Posted: 9/4/2012 4:14:35 PM
Amethyste

I enjoyed each renditions for the Therelympics!

thank you Thereminfan9 for your kind words on my rendition of "O Canada" I appreciate it~ :)

Posted: 9/5/2012 4:18:16 AM
invisiblejelly

I didn't watch the Olympics but now the Para Olympics are on I'm enjoying that.I like that better for some reason.Also I live by the sea and feel the sea is my country.So here a sea song.

http://chirb.it/zdF36E

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.