Progress Reports

Posted: 9/14/2014 3:12:41 AM
rkram53

RS Theremin,

Wow. The first .MP3 is exactly what I was expecting from my Etherwave, but the Etherwave sounds nothing like this. Actually I am not at all crazy about the Etherwave sound. I tried running it through a tube pre-amp with some EQ experimentation - but that only makes a small improvement.

If you want to know the truth, I'm still most comfortable playing the theremin like a ribbon controller between the two antennas (though that is too limiting to continue with). That kind of puts me into a more two-dimensional frame of mind, but only good for pieces of limited range.

Whether its as RS or a Dewster - I really want to see some new instruments coming out from all these interesting posts.

Just tell me how to order! :-)

Rich

Posted: 9/14/2014 2:17:15 PM
dewster

"If you want to know the truth, I'm still most comfortable playing the theremin like a ribbon controller between the two antennas (though that is too limiting to continue with). That kind of puts me into a more two-dimensional frame of mind, but only good for pieces of limited range."  - rkram53

Can't seem to put point my browser to it at the moment, but there's a web video floating around out there which IIRC shows a dude playing Theremin in this manner (as part of a band).  He slides his hand horizontally on top of the cabinet for pitch control, and gets pretty good control this way.  I think most here would say it's a crutch. 

Not sure what real players think of a seated position, but that's probably how I will practice and play as it affords a naturally much more still and sturdy posture than standing.

Posted: 9/14/2014 4:02:49 PM
xtheremin8

dewster,

did you look for that technique?  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn5yw8zie4Y  ( there was another video where the thereminist popped in too loud at first, but i could not find it again. but i think it was the same musician.) 

dani

Posted: 9/14/2014 4:49:58 PM
RS Theremin

"If you want to know the truth, I'm still most comfortable playing the theremin like a ribbon controller between the two antennas (though that is too limiting to continue with). That kind of puts me into a more two-dimensional frame of mind, but only good for pieces of limited range."  - rkram53

One of my first theremin demonstrations 11 years ago 2003 was a similar approach. I abandoned the idea because I thought it violated what is sacred about the authentic theremin. My linearity is as good as the picture reveals, verified by a pitch tuner, but I did not know it was unusually good until I purchased my EtherWave Standard years later. The EWS can also be quite good properly tuned. The pitch tuning knob is below the dolphin. I am slowly moving back to an approach similar in my redesign of the Electro-Theremin. My volume controls are separate from the pitch section because to me it makes the most practical sense. Constructing in a modular approach allows for flexibility and reuse of the better components.

Actual Linearity

My Altermen electro-theremin Sound

Edit: Rich - "Just tell me how to order! :-)"   My design days have concluded, never had anything to sell, taught several hundred University Students to do what I do, just waiting for the Big Event fireworks.

Christopher

Posted: 9/15/2014 4:15:32 AM
rkram53

search for "miquette theremin". She plays in this seated horizontal style. Seems to inherently add more portamento when playing in this more 2D space, but I find this method of playing interesting, though as noted purists likely will denounce it.

Rich

Posted: 9/15/2014 5:31:43 AM
RS Theremin

Her style limits the fluidness of play but I find her music very enjoyable.

Christopher

Posted: 9/15/2014 10:22:38 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

" "miquette theremin". She plays in this seated horizontal style." - Rich

Her reasons for playing this way are probably more to do with health issues than anything else..

When I inquired a while back  about her playing style (in particular, the near absence of finger movements) I was advised that "miquette" suffered a severe arthritic condition affecting her hands **1 - she has adapted her playing style to cope with this.

I greatly admire her bravery and skill under these circumstances!

The 'hand above theremin' style does (or can) impart other qualities - in particular with respect to hand / arm ground coupling - it will certainly improve distance - pitch linearity for a otherwise poorly grounded player.

Fred.

"Fred, thank you for your comment.  Actually, Miquette's tecnique is "different" because she is suffering rheumatoid arthritis for 30 years and cannot move her fingers like other thereminists.  This performance method is developed by herself for about 10 years." - Jun

see: http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28634/miquette-plays-theme-of-delicatessen?Page=1

Posted: 9/15/2014 11:31:04 AM
xtheremin8

miquettes theremin playing is just awesome precise. not my kind of music, but that does not matter. thanks for pointing to that tw link, fred. i know exactly how rheumatoid arthritis affects the finger movement: just say by-by to it. i suffer myself  since five years that sh..a slow decay.people like miquette help to keep the head up and it proofs: accurate playing without airial fingering is possible. when i'm a bit to tired for standing, i play in seated position, sliding along the ew case and i call it "the tired radioman". good god the theremin is so undogmatic. ;-)

Posted: 9/15/2014 4:37:34 PM
rkram53

Frankly, I don't care if you want to hang yourself upside down and play the darned thing from above like  a bat. The only thing that matters is what comes out of the amp. As I search for the right playing style for me, I have to just experiment and find what works best for the type of music I want to play given whatever limitations I have (I do have some arthritis from golfing on mats too much, and hearing loss from playing headphones too loud - but that's not going to stop me). In my mind, there are two overriding reasons to play any instrument: 1) Get better 2) Have fun. I'm hoping to get a lot better - but I know this for a fact - playing the theremin is a heck of a lot of fun. I know of no other intrument that has such a wonderful dynamic feedback system as this. No matter what your limitations - experiment and find something that works for you - because we all can use a little fun in our lives.

Rich

Posted: 9/15/2014 6:26:36 PM
dewster

"did you look for that technique?  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn5yw8zie4Y "  - xtheremin8

That's really close to the video I'm thinking of, and may be the same player.  I remember some rather dramatic hand sliding going on across the top of the Theremin case, and it may not have been an EW.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.