Your first Theremin exposure

Posted: 12/2/2014 4:38:11 AM
Tor Hershman

Mine was in this Jerry Lewis film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkVw32vafPE

and I've been in Love with the Theremin ever since.

Posted: 12/16/2014 7:34:48 AM
Starry

My first exposure to it was in a Depeche Mode video on YouTube, with Martin Gore trying out the theremin. As soon as I heard it and saw it, I knew I absolutely HAD to have it IMMEDIATELY.

http://youtu.be/sc43uxcNB0M

Posted: 12/17/2014 1:25:38 AM
coalport

Hey, Tor, that's MY theremin Jerry is playin'!!

Posted: 12/18/2014 10:49:40 PM
Jason

My first time was at a Pere Ubu / They Might Be Giants concert in college.  Pere Ubu held out a theremin during one song so that folks on the front row (me included) could wail on it.  I was awestruck and immediately started looking for plans on how to build one.  Around the same time, Leon Theremin passed away and the story was covered on NPR.  My parents heard the story and thought it would be something I'd be interested in, and boy... were they right.  I started collecting all the plans I could find and then created the original site "The Theremin Home Page" to share what I had gathered with others.  We became Theremin World some time later, and the rest is history.

Posted: 12/18/2014 11:47:40 PM
dewster

"Hey, Tor, that's MY theremin Jerry is playin'!!"  - coalport

God, I love this place!

=============

My first exposure to a Theremin "in the flesh" was upon buying the EWS kit.  I've always been interested in capacitance sensing, and thought it might make an interesting conversation piece for my wife's piano studio.

Posted: 12/19/2014 12:38:54 AM
RoyP

When I first got into music it was early Kraftwerk, so I kind of knew that they played with weird electronic instruments but didn’t know until later that they had theremins in their repertoire.
Then there was ‘Forbidden Planet’ but my first sighting of a theremin was at a Jean Michelle Jarre concert where he played the whole of ‘Oxygene’.
Yeh...what’s not to like!

Posted: 1/4/2015 12:12:04 AM
DiggyDog

Mine was at a local science museum.

They had one on exhibit And I loved it.

i emailed them a few years ago to see if they still had it and they did but had no plans to put it on display any time soon.

Posted: 1/4/2015 1:55:25 AM
elmo7sharp9

I built a one-transistor Photocell-controlled oscillator circuit when I was about 12 years old.

Completely amazed by the possibilities, despite the 2-inch Pitch Range...

Posted: 1/4/2015 2:57:29 AM
oldtemecula

My first experience with a theremin was from Brian Wilson in 1965. It was a box with triangular plates. He could not duplicate the same results at every re-take so he tried something else. This year he will set the record straight, maybe, he is one moody dude.

Posted: 1/4/2015 3:47:20 AM
Jeff S

Was it something like this?...

http://moogarchives.com/maestro1.jpg

First exposure to theremin-like sound - Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations' (had no idea what it was)

First exposure to a real theremin sound - The Day the Earth Stood Still, Theme to The Green Hornet TV series  (had no idea what it was)

The theremin-like sound that really sparked my interest - Theme to Dark Shadows TV series.  (had no idea what it was, but I loved it)

First theremin sighting - Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same at the midnight movie in 1978  (still had no idea what it was)

Next exposure to a real theremin sound - Jean Michel Jarre's 'Oxygene'  ~1980 (still had no idea what it was)

Found out what a theremin was and what it was called - 2000 on the Lark in the Morning website (sold Moog Etherwaves) - without access to the internet, what's the chances that would have happened?

Shortly thereafter - Found Theremin World and soon the Levnet

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.