Your first Theremin exposure

Posted: 10/11/2016 4:58:35 AM
everderame

hello all, I am new to the Theremin World.

the first time i heard about theremin - and listened to it was in "Os Mutantes" Brazilian band song called "2001", from 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9s3v5vetp4

(about 1:54)

i was little and loved this song and got really intrigued about what was a theremin.

so many years passed until i could get one myself.

Posted: 10/12/2016 6:10:37 PM
RePO

I've never seen one played live. However, if it constitutes as live, my first run in to a Theremin was the year 2000 on youtube "Legend of Zelda Theme Song." A youtube classic.

Anyway, two years ago I bought my Theremin and then practiced like a beast. For a live performance, I did one at a café/dinner/bar in Oak Harbor and the reception was great! A lot of people didn't seem to know what it was. So, to be able to touch people's lives like that through music is amazing.

Posted: 10/12/2016 8:00:22 PM
jocala

I probably first heard the theremin in SF film "The Day the Earth Stood Still", but of course I didn't know what it was. The movie "Theremin: An Electronic Odyessy" was my real introduction.

I've had an Etherwave standard for two months.

Posted: 3/28/2017 6:30:10 PM
cyberghostx13

Well I will try again to post my first experience and exposure to the Theremin which happened about a week ago. I watched a Hawkwind video and watched Tim Blake perform with Theremin and also a keyboard guitar for about 90 minutes. Wow, it was magical, fantastic, I had never seen this instrument before and I was mesmerized with his performance. I emailed Tim today and actually got a response just a few minutes later with a link to a video performance(2012) on YouTube. Wow! 

Posted: 3/29/2017 3:31:19 AM
oldtemecula

Cyber because you are my brother in the great state of California I will be your Huckleberry.

You have purchased the finest theremin instrument ever conceived but it still falls short. Ten years ago TW had over 100 active members. Today it is about two or three. Two of these people are determined to discover all the ways, in which a theremin will not work and demonstrate nothing, very few demonstrate what they like revealed in a theremin sound. Since the introduction of the Theremini, theremin interest has dwindled as many are being misled and so personal creativity has declined. The theremin is an analog instrument from the past, to make it into anything else and call it a theremin is a sham.

Christopher

Posted: 3/29/2017 4:27:16 AM
cyberghostx13

Well thanks Huck, just kidding although Val is a cool actor. My Theremin is on a plane or truck but will arrive soon. I also bought a MoogerFooger 101LF. I did a lot of research and I was turned off from the Theremini because of the problems with calibration, it had been my first choice. I then decided on the Moog Plus Theremin instead and hey it looked better as well. Sayonara.

Posted: 9/27/2017 5:08:22 PM
NDean

The Simpsons. That episode where Milhouse gets a girlfriend and he brings one out and is all "that's right, it's a theremin"

Posted: 9/27/2017 8:27:41 PM
mpampouras

Portishead! Even though the recording was made with a Moog Source synth! Rumour was saying it was a theremin so...

Posted: 9/27/2017 9:43:39 PM
xtheremin8

nearly same hoax here: a classic clichee: good vibrations, while dancing my ass off as a kid on my older brothers party.

but seriously some years later by this cd/book box: ISBN 1-55961382-3

Posted: 10/2/2017 6:00:45 PM
rupertchappelle

Phil Mann playing a Maestro Theremin at a pool party we played at for Zalman Fishman in the very early eighties.

He could actually get melodies out of it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.