Introduction to Theremin

Posted: 3/3/2019 10:14:52 PM
EmanatePresence

On a search for an instrument which can express the subtle worlds in an audible range, I am now exploring the Theremin. 

No single word describes the feeling, but so far what I have seen and heard of the Theremin is fascinating, intriguing and deeply moving.

For my purposes of being able to share those feelings in a public space, I am looking for portability.

Does anyone here have experience with the 'Harrison Instruments 302 Theremin'? It's manufacturer's description includes this bit:

'Compact, lightweight at just 2 pounds, and completely portable, the 302 sets up in minutes, with battery operation eliminating the need for an external power source. Its high-impact-resistant ABS plastic case ensures durability and reliability. When used with a mic stand and a battery-portable amplifier such as the Roland® CUBE Street, the 302 permits a theremin performance virtually anywhere.'

Equally important is sound quality, and this byte from the forum says it:

'In my opinion, a digitally engineered theremin tone will rarely be an acceptable substitute for an analog heterodyned theremin tone. All the warmth, organic beauty, and constantly evolving harmonic structure is lost when reducing it down to a floating point frequency value in the digital domain. A digitally generated tone does have its advantages including control stability and versatility in the sonic domain, but at the end of the signal chain, sound is king.'

I know it is a matter of individual preferences and needs, and there is no one-size-fits-all, but....

Do you have any thoughts for me?

Could anyone here possibly be up for considering helping me build and learn to play, one-on-one? It would be with an exchange of value, and I'd give it my all. I am mobile, so could possibly travel to you.

Posted: 3/4/2019 1:36:27 PM
dewster

"Equally important is sound quality, and this byte from the forum says it:

'In my opinion, a digitally engineered theremin tone will rarely be an acceptable substitute for an analog heterodyned theremin tone. All the warmth, organic beauty, and constantly evolving harmonic structure is lost when reducing it down to a floating point frequency value in the digital domain. A digitally generated tone does have its advantages including control stability and versatility in the sonic domain, but at the end of the signal chain, sound is king.'

Do you have any thoughts for me?"  - EmanatePresence

Yes, you're spreading disinformation.  When certain criteria are met, sampling theory guarantees perfect reconstruction.  You don't have to believe it in order for it to work (which is kind of a pity - I would love to see "audiophiles" thus deprived of all digitally created / processed content).

For which Theremin should you get, I recommend you buy a Moog Etherwave.  If your budget is tight try to find one on the used market.

Posted: 3/4/2019 3:59:41 PM
rupertchappelle

I use the model 302, it is the easiest theremin to play and a seven octave range is doable within the standard play range.

Due to the plate antennas vibrato is optional - good luck with a pole antenna.

https://youtu.be/ZtWvNXJA26Q

The same motor skills which enable you to pick something up or throw something in waste basket are all you need, plus time and play.

Pitch your notes. Hold them steady.

Any questions? Ask your cerebellum and temporal lobes. Cheaper than a theremin instructor.

Expect results in a year or so . . .

Posted: 3/4/2019 4:44:01 PM
rupertchappelle

Dewster:

The sampling frequency is far lower than the frequency of the oscillators which create the theremin tone.

Just because you cannot hear it does not negate its presence or affect.

The best samples do their best to conceal themselves. 

With reverb.

Mel9 vs.Orchestra . . . 

Well, you cannot afford an orchestra, but you can afford a REAL theremin.

Posted: 3/4/2019 5:59:23 PM
EmanatePresence

I use the model 302, it is the easiest theremin to play and a seven octave range is doable within the standard play range.Due to the plate antennas vibrato is optional - good luck with a pole antenna.https://youtu.be/ZtWvNXJA26QThe same motor skills which enable you to pick something up or throw something in waste basket are all you need, plus time and play.Pitch your notes. Hold them steady.Any questions? Ask your cerebellum and temporal lobes. Cheaper than a theremin instructor.Expect results in a year or so . . .

Your advice seems sound to me, Rupert.

Art Harrison wrote back to my inquiry:

'It is difficult for me to make any absolute statements regarding which design approach is best, because there are so many differing preferences among both listeners and performers, and some of those preferences may be served with different kinds of circuits. Also, there's often a blur between circuit techniques that denote them being specifically "analog" or "digital."

I have personally found that heterodyne tone generation, copying Leon Theremin's original approach, is indeed a very effective method for making instruments with pleasant tone qualities. Most of the theremins I design use the heterodyne technique.'

I am leaning towards the 302 from your recommendation and the response from Art. Funny you mention motor skills, as I had not, but was thinking about it. I've tried various musical instruments - guitar, ukelele, steel tongue and other hand drums, didgeridoo, mouth harps. Never got very far with any, due partly to my level of motor skills.

I have taken lessons but have no musical training nor inclination to learn music theory. Though some here may cringe to read it, my interest is more in the symbiotic relationship with the Theremin and the ideal of allowing the soul to express through me and the instrument as one. I do voice toning (whilst inverting) and would experiment with toning (upright) and Theremining together. Would give it a year of dedicated practice.

Posted videos and links on the blog I keep and added your video to the page: http://www.wholehuman.emanatepresence.com/blog/theremin

May I quote you in the Whole Human post?

Kindly,

Gary

Posted: 3/4/2019 6:40:08 PM
dewster

"The sampling frequency is far lower than the frequency of the oscillators which create the theremin tone."  - ruperchappelle

Moot point.

"Just because you cannot hear it does not negate its presence or affect."  - ruperchappelle

If done even half way correctly, digital audio cannot be distinguished from analog audio.  I'm talking ABX and double blind testing.

"I am leaning towards the 302..."  - EmanatePresence

If you are broadly interested in Theremins and how to play them, you might want to learn on something that is more traditional than the 302, which is an outlier in terms of design and playing.  I imagine that it's hard to develop fingering skills on a horizontal plate pitch antenna, and even if you do they probably won't transfer well to a vertical rod pitch antenna.  Just my 2 cents.

Posted: 3/4/2019 7:56:49 PM
EmanatePresence

Dewster ~

Thank you for your two cents. That is my purpose for posting, to collect cents (sense) from a variety of perspectives.

outlier:
'2: something (such as a geological feature) that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body The island is an outlier on the southeast side of the archipelago.'

That would fit with me. I am an outlier and totally non-traditional. But very integrative and tolerant of other perspectives.

My interest in Theremins is selective rather than broad. I am more metaphysician than musician, an experimenter and explorer of 'more complete perspectives.'

A highly portable, easy to use Theremin with good quality sound (as the 302 appears to be) could fit my ideas.

But, of course, you could be right about the difficulty of developing fingering skills on a horizontal plate pitch antenna. Have you seen the video of Art Harrison playing a rendition of 'On the Street Where You Live' on this 302? It is here, at the bottom of the post: http://www.wholehuman.emanatepresence.com/blog/theremin 

Best regards,

Gary

Posted: 3/4/2019 8:36:57 PM
rupertchappelle

Fingering Skills . . . 

Clara Rockmore started out playing the violin, thus fingering skills.

Get back to me when the theremin has a wooden neck and an ebony fingerboard.

But imitation and tradition are far more important than getting the job done simply and efficiently.

So here is tradition you can imitate - I figured out the technique on my own since it is the natural way to play the instrument.

Konstantin Kovalsky plays Theremin for "Komsomol: Patron of Electrification", 1932

https://youtu.be/aw_Bl0GX5ME

Note his hand and the careful fingering work.

Posted: 3/4/2019 8:42:41 PM
rupertchappelle

BTW - Charles Draper is one of the best classical thereminists - he posted that video.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.