Lending my instrument

Posted: 10/15/2019 7:14:04 PM
DanielMacKay

I am thinking of some time in the future -- maybe next year -- starting to play with some amateur musicians. So of course I'm starting to talk to them. I probably have one of the very few or perhaps the only theremin in my city.

I am wondering what to do if some group - say a weird electronic music ensemble or the orchestra - asks to borrow my instrument to make some weird sounds for some event.

I'm not a musician so i have no idea what the culture is around this.  I have a little concern about the instrument being damaged, and a little more concern about... a performance with my instrument that I'm not involved with.

Is it not done to borrow and lend instruments? Or is it normal? 

Any thoughts on the culture of borrowing, lending, renting would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Posted: 10/15/2019 7:24:38 PM
oldtemecula

Daniel, think of your instrument as your wife or daughter and the drunk band promises to take care of them.

Christopher

Posted: 10/15/2019 7:34:11 PM
rupertchappelle

No. Do not lend out your theremin, nor your synthesizer, or keyboard. You will get the reputation as a doormat and you will be well used.

If they want to make strange noises, tell them to buy a Led Zep theremin or use their voice - it's Halloween so they can get one of those ornaments with the theremin spooky music - which is what they really would want.

Hell, most thereminists don't know what do do with the things, let alone some random MUSICIAN. Never trust a MUSICIAN with your stuff.

"When they heck is my power supply??? Has anyone got a spare Moog Etherwave power supply?"

Everybody thinks they are a star and rules do not apply to stars.

Posted: 10/16/2019 5:08:59 AM
bendra

Fuck period no period. If someone wants "weird electronic" theremin sounds they can spring for a cheap zep/burns/whatnot for a hundred bucks or less. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.