NYC Noob

Posted: 11/23/2019 12:37:52 AM
handzap

I just got my first real Theremin today - a Burns B3 Deluxe. So far I can barely hold a steady note, and am working on hitting an octave predictably, so I've got work to do. I got the spaceship sounds out of my system after the first five minutes.

A few beginner questions, hopefully not too annoying:

- Is the Moog standard model easier to play? I've read about the note spacing being different, but it wasn't clear whether or not it is better. I'm just curious whether or not I am going to make learning significantly harder with one or the other, or if it is pretty close.

- Is it a bad habit to use a guitar tuner as a visual aid in the beginning? Seems logical, but if it hinders developing a real sense of how to navigate, then I can try without.

- Are there any reputable classes or instructors based in NYC?

- Realistically how long does it take the average beginner to play accurately a minor scale, for example? I write music using different instruments, so I'm not looking to become a classical virtuoso. I would like to be able to play my own relatively simple melodies as part of an arrangement.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Posted: 11/23/2019 5:19:08 AM
bendra

I've not played a burns so I can't comment on that, but re: a tuner - I use a tuner a lot for practice; for me it's indispensable both for measuring note accuracy and ensuring a consistently tuned pitch field. I'd recommend getting a tuner with a really, really big display so you can easily read with your peripheral vision without having to focus or strain. I use a Korg DT-4 Chromatic Tuner; for me it's the best choice for theremin.

You'll probably want to get in touch with these guys: https://www.nythereminsociety.org/

Posted: 11/23/2019 3:58:19 PM
handzap

I've not played a burns so I can't comment on that, but re: a tuner - I use a tuner a lot for practice; for me it's indispensable both for measuring note accuracy and ensuring a consistently tuned pitch field. I'd recommend getting a tuner with a really, really big display so you can easily read with your peripheral vision without having to focus or strain. I use a Korg DT-4 Chromatic Tuner; for me it's the best choice for theremin.You'll probably want to get in touch with these guys: https://www.nythereminsociety.org/

Thanks! I was looking at the Korg Pitch Black for the same reason - big display. I'll look into the DT-4 as well.

And thanks for that link!

Posted: 11/30/2019 5:30:11 AM
bisem

I had a Burns B3 Pro theremin and found it rather easy to play at that time when I was starting out. Eventually I sold it because I didn't like the tone but it was a beautiful instrument. After playing for 10 years I still wonder when I'm going to master it.  I wonder if all accomplished thereminists out there feel the same.

Check out as many instructional videos on YouTube as you can to get the basics then practice, practice, practice!

Posted: 12/3/2019 5:31:39 PM
rupertchappelle

Theremins are easy to play, unless you want to play notes. Play for a year and ask your friends if they recognize what you are playing - chances are they will not. try again in another year and they will recognize it and be polite about it. After several more years you get good enough to be a player.

So much for walking the tightrope.

I prefer the sidewalk - a plate antenna theremin, vibrato optional and seated play for accuracy and steadiness.

So spend three of four years honing some OCD or:

Easiest theremin to play

I never have to practice and 8 octaves are a breeze.

Theremin lessons???

Kazoo lessons are a better deal.

The theremin is a feedback mind control device, but the pole antennas will make you "off" in more ways than one. The theremin teaches you. Because it does exactly what you make it do. Aerial fingering??? Uh, there is no fingerboard and no frets. OMG - no strings either!!!  So when someone offers to teach you aerial fingering . . . 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.