EW+ sounds like a chainsaw

Posted: 1/19/2020 5:11:25 AM
Valery

Greetings! A bit of history: When I first brought Moog Ethervawe Plus to my home - I was terrified. He hummed for 4 voices ... No,
 there was no breakdown. It was necessary to make a good grounding. To get started, I connected the external pin of Jack plug with a simple piece of wire to the water pipes. The result is a clean and even sound. Now I use a 15 meter shielded cable to connect the amplifier to the theremin, which I “curl” around my legs with rings. As a result, there is no background. The use of battery power is also very helpful. True, you have to tinker a bit with the soldering iron and wires ... It is more practical to purchase rechargeable batteries that can be recharged before the performance. When using the AC / DC adapter, grounding is REQUIRED!!!
I hope my tips come in handy.
PS: Soon I will share a new video on which I play on the Phoenix, which I use with battery power and a long wire. At the same time, there are no interference and background.
Good luck!

Posted: 1/19/2020 6:20:03 AM
oldtemecula

Valery said: "PS: Soon I will share a new video on which I play on the Phoenix, which I use with battery power and a long wire. At the same time, there are no interference and background."

That is more exciting than a new girlfriend.

I have perfected my last Phoenix PCB design and will soon have commercial boards made. The same board will do that nice classic sound or used as a volume control or have a proximity controlled CV output of 0 to 5 volts for whatever that could be used for.

Mouser Parts for any one of the three functions is less than $50.

Christopher

Posted: 1/19/2020 6:42:01 AM
Valery

Greetings Christopher!
Today I can’t fall asleep and I decided to go to the forum ...
Yes, I’ve already shot the video and I’m finalizing the editing of the clip. A little more and everyone will see it. This is not even one video, but two. There is one more idea that I am currently working on. And this is also with the participation of the Phoenix. It is a pity that the sound range is only treble. I think Clara’s sound can be implemented with great success as a “Phoenix module” for Moog theremin with a wide range of sound. I want to do this if there is time and energy ...
All the best!

Posted: 1/19/2020 6:23:06 PM
xtheremin8

thanks for all your suggestions, and a big sorry rupert for your windows, next time i record, i do it louder. 

ojemine, that was now a frustrating experience. i suspected every board and even my selfmade wallwart. the 10-pin harnish for the new plus board also got mysteriously lost, so that was more diy-improvisation ahead. and i just wanted to play some tunes...
i finally got it: just take the theremin and amp to another room and try it there. voilà: it works as it should. 
(i got a „ether“ from that russian company soma, a nice device to make all sorts of electric radiation hearable. not the proper test equippement but so i figured: seems like my o so much beloved neighbor, he‘s a f*+ing pain really, has installed a huge tv or placed his freezer next to the wall we share.

now up for the human-interaction.

Posted: 1/19/2020 6:46:49 PM
oldtemecula

Xther said: i suspected every board and even my selfmade wall-wart.

That is the problem, your homemade power supply.

Either an intermittent connection or not enough AC overhead will give you a chainsaw sound.

If using 12 volts AC you should try 14 volts AC, too high the regulators will start kicking out if they overheat.

Christopher

Valery: for Clara's Voice I will send an email with thoughts.

Posted: 1/19/2020 7:18:51 PM
xtheremin8

sorry christoph, you‘re wrong.
it‘s a environmental issue.

Posted: 1/19/2020 10:24:49 PM
Thierry

I'm happy, though, to read that it's not a defective Etherwave or Plus add-on PCB problem, although I'd really liked to see you again and to be helpful to fix whatever issue. If you need help, I could drive the 100 miles and assist you in neutralizing the neighbor. A body bag, shovel and a quiet corner in the woods are available.

Posted: 1/21/2020 3:25:48 PM
rupertchappelle

once again, I am correct . . . 
still no one listens to the best new theremin music made in the last month . . . 
or year . . . 

Posted: 1/21/2020 4:53:26 PM
xtheremin8

@rupertchapelle : i watched your videos! all of them. was a bit worried by the 360° camera ones because of the 360° but i liked the duets with art very much. you still play together? and you where right about: don’t panic, it’s a electronic disturbance of some sort.

my issues where purely of technical nature, that's what thierry’s workbench is for. 
if your theremin sounds crap by itself, then you have to fix it. or have it fixed. no matter what kind of music one plays. if you like to use effects to get that sound, it‘s a different story. the bass-overdrive from boss is my favorit here, but i like ringmodulators very much.

@thierry: yes i’m happy too. and thanks for offering a proper mafia-solution, but i live near a river, a bag and some some stones could do it! 
i found now a spot in the same room, where the theremin acts normal. it’s a little spooky but hey, no need for concrete shoes.

to find that spot was a interesting experience, the theremin works like a device to expose electromagnetic disturbences around you, if you move it around. even turning the theremin horizontaly, on the mic-stand, changed the sound. aka stopped picking up the noise. 
is this because of the orientation of the coils in the magnetic field? or just the shielding by the metallic faceplate and plus board? ( ah, my english so bad, hope for the summer and let‘s have a beer at jupilers!) and enjoy the fondue with the etherwavers!

Posted: 1/21/2020 5:33:37 PM
dewster

"i found now a spot in the same room, where the theremin acts normal. it’s a little spooky but hey, no need for concrete shoes.
to find that spot was a interesting experience, the theremin works like a device to expose electromagnetic disturbences around you, if you move it around. even turning the theremin horizontaly, on the mic-stand, changed the sound. aka stopped picking up the noise. 
is this because of the orientation of the coils in the magnetic field? or just the shielding by the metallic faceplate and plus board?"  - xtheremin8

My EWS was doing this at one point, the lowest frequencies sounded like a motorcycle.  Hidden from my view, it was positioned near a wall with a mains AC cable running up behind it to power the overhead light (discovered it with one of those contact-less AC voltage testers).  It got better once I moved it away, but I became super aware of it, so (I imagined?) I heard it all the time after that at a very low level, but always negatively influencing the basic tone.  It was clearly intermodulation distortion, and I'm kind of surprised all analog Theremins aren't plagued with it all the time as the mains AC field is ubiquitous.  This is the reason for the elaborate mains comb and low-pass filtering in the D-Lev.

"(ah, my english so bad...)"

Your English is fantastic!  If you didn't have "From: züriCH" in your avatar info I honestly wouldn't know.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.