The Spring Antenna and "Perfect Linearity"

Posted: 2/17/2020 4:04:51 PM
dewster

The Missouri* Waltz

When I first started out investigating Theremins, there being a dearth of technical books on them, I of course turned to the web.  One web site that I found deeply intriguing was Christopher's (AKA oldtemecula, RS Theremin, Touchless, ...) because he claimed he had discovered the secret of a "perfectly linear" pitch field by connecting a simple one transistor LC oscillator to a common helical screen door spring "antenna".  Stretching the spring slightly with a trivial screw mechanism reportedly made the oscillator response somehow "pop" or dramatically change at one point, and "perfect linearity" all the way from right at the antenna to quite far away was the result.  This was the claim anyway, and one that Christopher has repeated countless times here at TW.

Naturally I went right out and bought the specified spring to experiment with it, hoping for the best.  I unfortunately didn't have any success with it, but I chalked that up to my inexperience, my setup missing the specified oscillator, not holding my jaw right, etc.  Since then I've come to understand inductors somewhat better (a passive component not covered comprehensively in my undergrad EE) and can say now that I see no obvious, physics-based electrical reason for how a slightly elongated spring might influence a Theremin in the manner claimed.  The elongation separates the turns and insulates them with air, so the spring is then an inductor, but both the calculated and measured value of this, combined with the intrinsic capacitance of free-space, give a calculated resonance too far above the nominal oscillation frequency to be an obvious active mechanism to linearity.  Perhaps something exotic like skin-effect or evanescent emission is going on?  I doubt it, but if one really cares about scientific investigation (and I do!), things not properly investigated shouldn't be prematurely written off as impossible.  Ah, but there's the rub.

Rule: The onus for investigating and proving, or at least convincingly demonstrating, any technical claims falls squarely and necessarily on the person making those claims.  And fantastic claims such as this require rather more in the way of proof.  The one making the claims is usually the most self-interested, and in the best position to do the investigating, so it's a win-win for all concerned.  A sticking point in all this is the inventor in this case apparently loathes electrical engineering and those who practice it, so using technical means to prove technical claims is presumably out, leaving us with what exactly?  Belief?

So I realize now that:
1. The phenomena (if it exists) isn't obviously explainable via simple physics.
2. Christopher will never explain the basis of this linearity phenomena (if it exists) in terms of physics.

I haven't visited Christopher's web pages in a while, but long ago IIRC there were pictures showing linear keyboards painted on measuring sticks mounted perpendicular to the spring antenna, which strongly implied the marking of this "perfect linearity" - but curiously (in retrospect) no video demonstrating it.  Christopher has also mentioned many times that he has no musical skills, and so can't demonstrate his creations effectively in that manner.

But none of these circumstances / reasons / excuses prevent him or someone else from conclusively demonstrating this linearity phenomena (if it exists) in a video.  Christopher himself has referred to this type of testing as "fist popping" - where the pitch response to the quickly opened / closed hand is examined throughout the pitch field for equivalent relative pitch change, so he knows exactly what I'm talking about.  It can be easily and effectively performed by almost anyone, even those untrained on the Theremin and with no musical ability.  I recently demonstrated (for a second time) the linearity of the pitch field of my D-Lev prototype via this basic and quite effective technique:

If one were asked to express this in the form of rules:

*Show me!

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, and you can't prove a negative, but given the particulars of this case, if there is no forthcoming definitive video (one way or the other), I will be forced to conclude "perfect linearity" of the spring antenna doesn't exist.  Truthfully, I'm at least 90% of the way there and slipping fast, so throw me a bone (if there is one to throw).

Posted: 2/17/2020 5:05:04 PM
rupertchappelle

For  number of years I used a spring antenna on the Big Briar Etherwave - copper wire wound around a half inch rod and the rod replaced by some squishy foam to dampen the natural tendency to oscillate producing vibrato. I cannot say much about improved linearity,  but the wider antenna is more forgiving of extraneous hand motion. The chief advantage was that the antenna could be pulled out to increase its length and squeezed down to decrease its length making it easy to readjust the pitch field depending upon conditions, and back then there were a lot of "adjustments" that needed to be made.

And of course, AUTOMATIC MECHANICAL VIBRATO - oooh la la!

no vocals please

No Way Out But In

Visit From the Green Faerie on Christmas Eve

Posted: 2/17/2020 5:49:12 PM
oldtemecula

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com 

dewster I mentioned before I do not own a cell phone by choice or I would also clog up the Cloud. I wish you well.

Posted: 2/17/2020 6:13:07 PM
dewster

... a bunch of hemming and hawing which he since deleted ...  - oldtemecula

It's really simple Christopher: no linearity video = empty claim.  If you can't or won't produce one, just say so.

Posted: 2/17/2020 6:34:30 PM
dewster

"I mentioned before I do not own a cell phone by choice or I would also clog up the Cloud."  - oldemecula

There are plenty of ways to make a video without a cell phone (camera, laptop, webcam, etc.).  Don't chicken out now.

Posted: 2/17/2020 7:33:58 PM
oldtemecula

The theremin was a gift to all of us especially me.

Here is warming up with one of the finest theremins ever conceived. Notice no special coils, just special knowledge.

Valery states this one is easy to play as the notes are where he expects to find them, surprisingly better than an Epro.

This is the sound the Classic Theremin lost. I offered to give this sound to someones EWS and he did not want to give up his Bass mod.

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com

dewster I have had ideal linearity for 20 years. No body cares. Linearity is a man made concept, that is what makes it so fascinating. With you pushing EM theremin builds when you know my stuff is worth exploring leaves me to believe you are evil masquerading as someone with knowledge. I am sad for you.

Posted: 2/17/2020 8:04:11 PM
dewster

"Valery states this one is easy to play as the notes are where he expects to find them, slightly better than a Epro" - oldemecula

I really like Valery, but that statement, while impressive, is much too subjective to make anything of technically.

I "discovered" a method to linearity on the digital Theremin and as you can see I am incapable of shutting up about it.  It means so much to me that I simply must discuss it, feel compelled to make videos of it in action, etc.  My Theremin explorations likely would have ground to a halt years ago had I not stumbled on it, it is absolutely that central & essential in the scheme of what little original I've otherwise been able to contribute to the field.

So I completely don't get your complete unwillingness to do a 30 second, crummy, simple, nothing little video clearly demonstrating the linearity of your antenna / oscillator.  You work on this stuff for a decade or more, extol the virtues constantly in text and MP3, interrupt every thread on TW for a Phoenix commercial break, but no bog-simple video demo?  If indeed your "perfect linearity" exists then I don't understand why you don't want anyone to see it demonstrated in a video.

[EDIT] The Epro is almost certainly not perfectly linear.  So it seems to me that you are admitting that the Phoenix is not "perfectly linear" either, if it is only "slightly better than an Epro".  I mean, prove me wrong.  Take a half hour out of your day and display the merits of your handiwork, surely it's worth that.  I'd be moving heaven and earth to show off my "perfectly linear" analog Theremin.   Wild horses couldn't stop me.

"...surprisingly better than an Epro."

This is why I copy paste...

[EDIT2] When you're making your video of Phoenix linearity - now suddenly "surprisingly better than an Epro" - make sure you demo the near-field right at the antenna, because that's where analog Theremins typically cramp up.

Posted: 2/17/2020 11:06:04 PM
oldtemecula

dewster for eight years I wanted to exchange thoughts on observations with you and your response was like I was threatening your preconceived notions. I found this to be common among engineers at TW as they all seem to keep things secret like they are going to get rich at this stuff. 

What dew is up to now I have no idea but my time has run out. Ok it is not PERFECT, but a phenomenon that actually enhances the  sound you hear. When it happens it is startling. Valery experienced the phenomenon in the video, today he has noticed it is gone, maybe Claras Voice was a gift only to me as I have said over the years. If you do not accept this ask Dorit Chrysler if she has the voice.

Teacher Stefan in Germany wants to teach using my stuff with his students, this could be very profitable for them if theremins sell for over $10,000.

I wish all of you the best, 

I like to get drunk so I can think like normal people

Posted: 2/17/2020 11:19:51 PM
dewster

No linearity video = empty claim.

Posted: 2/18/2020 3:26:17 PM
dewster

I have had ideal linearity for 20 years. No body cares. Linearity is a man made concept, that is what makes it so fascinating."  - oldtemecula

This is a Zen koan! :-)

Christopher:

1. Focus on the issue.
2. The issue is purely technical, not personal.
3. You don't have  to explain anything, just show it.
4. Demonstrate this "ideal linearity" you've had for 20 years in a short video.
5. It doesn't require any playing skills.
6. It doesn't require a good picture or good sound.
7. It isn't time consuming.
8. It isn't difficult, I could teach any functioning school age child how to do the test in a couple of minutes.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.