Using pedals to Making an Etherwave Standard sound like a Pro

Posted: 3/7/2020 7:20:52 PM
feijai

I've got an Etherwave Standard with the ESPE01 upgrade.  My main problem with the machine is that it sounds ... electric.  The tone is has a lot of high frequencies in it and isn't very smooth.

I've seen lots of Carlona Eyck's Etherwave Pro videos and the tone is much smoother and more elegant.  I'm trying to figure out if I can filter the Standard's tone via a pedal to make it sound more like a this tone.  A low pass filter pedal?  Some kind of wah pedal? [though wahs are usually bandpass, which seems the wrong direction to go]

Posted: 3/7/2020 7:36:09 PM
oldtemecula

IMHO: In the computer world they have an expression, garbage in garbage out. The proper sound of a theremin begins at the Pitch Antenna and is shaped through the audio section. It is all about the final wave shape and once it is shaped from experience that is what you get. Some use methods of muffling the sound, mix in other wave shapes, add reverb and other tricks but your sound is your sound. There are some expensive sounds processors that will do what you need but they cost thousands.

I know a method a EWS could sound better than an Epro but I am forbidden by the self appointed TW monitors from mentioning it here because it is given away for free.

Others will chime in with their experiences as I have little experience with pedals.

Christopher   

Posted: 3/7/2020 9:39:24 PM
bendra

There are lots of pedals/effects you can use. I was on a kick with them for a while until my wife told me to stop. A bit of reverb/echo is nice, if you boost the middle frequencies it makes more of an AH - human voice like sound. Carolina uses some pedals herself, which she lists here: https://www.carolinaeyck.com/faq

Posted: 3/8/2020 1:33:05 AM
DreadVox

Stock Etherwave Plus here. My minimal signal chain usually is Etherwave audio out -> Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100 or MIC 200 (inexpensive clone of ART tube microphone preamps) -> Vox Valvetronix Tonelab ST1 modeller/multi-FX pedal -> Amplifier (Fender Greta 2 Watt tube amp, Torque T100K keyboard amp or Vox Pathfinder 15EXR). The most clean and suitable amplifier models for theremin on it I find to be US Blues Special and Vox AC15 Special, which are both rich in bass and attenuate the high end a little, so that suppresses the 'too electric' higher harmonics to a more acoustic sounding timbre. I also like to use the filtron effect set to its lowest sensitivity, it resembles the effect of the 'Ah'-EHX Talking Machine sound, but the filter varies a little with the volume, so with a raised volume it sounds brighter with a higher filter frequency peak, which also gives it some qualities that more resemble an acoustic instrument.
Depending on the settings on the efects and amplifation chain, the brightness control on the Etherwave is usually not over about 2 o 'clock and often dialed below the center setting and the waveform mostly between 10 and 1 o 'clock. For lower bass or a fattened sound the Vox Tonelab has both an octaver effect as well as a Pitch Shift/WhammyPedal effect. So for a large part I can even get around the 'raspy/moped' low frequency character of the stock Etherwave when I don't want that and have it when I do (for emulations of a purring cat and whale sonar click trains).   

Posted: 3/9/2020 2:30:30 PM
rupertchappelle

I recently purchased 20 dollar effects from KMISE - the distortion pedals will sweeten your sound up if you are subtle with them. Crunch distortion - my fav and vintage overdrive and us dream - quite and nice - you need to buy the power supply - be careful  . . . 

But the Boss SY 1 is fantastic albeit 199.

Posted: 3/13/2020 3:57:02 PM
feijai

So I borrowed a MoogerFooger Low Pass Filter pedal and have been playing with it.  I turned off the envelope follower and just modified the cutoff.  With judicious use of the cutoff I can (of course) strip out some high frequencies and have found the tone to be cleaner and more elegant.    Gotta think about what a formant filter would do.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.