Claravox Centennial Theremin - Post Your Thoughts Here

Posted: 1/28/2021 5:02:40 PM
dewster

"This is very frustrating, especially when having already paid for it in full."  - ContraDude

Don't most musical instrument retailers here in the US only charge once shipped?

(And: Welcome to TW ContraDude!  You're in my neck of the woods!)

Posted: 1/28/2021 5:20:12 PM
ContraDude

". . . Don't most musical instrument retailers here in the US only charge once shipped?(And: Welcome to TW ContraDude!  You're in my neck of the woods!)

I’m afraid the retailer I used, Prymaxe. I bought mine in December, just days before we learned that the Claravox was delayed - i plunked down big bucks because I thought I’d receive it by the end of the month.

The one positive thing is that I got 20% off of what it’s selling for elsewhere. However, had I known that it was going to be delayed and that orders would be accepted into the new year, I would have delayed my purchase. 

BTW, thank you! I’m in awe of your knowledge of electronics and skills in building theremins. I have no skills in those areas. I’m also eagerly awaiting (like everyone else) for the end of the pandemic so I can connect with local theremin aficionados.

Posted: 1/28/2021 9:41:54 PM
dewster

"I’m also eagerly awaiting (like everyone else) for the end of the pandemic so I can connect with local theremin aficionados." - ContraDude

Oh, same here - on the plus side it's giving my lazy ass cover for not getting anything done!  We should meet up after it's safe, you're only 1/2 hour or so south from me (I'm in Boonton).  How long have you been playing the Theremin?

Posted: 1/28/2021 10:38:35 PM
ContraDude

"Oh, same here - on the plus side it's giving my lazy ass cover for not getting anything done!  We should meet up after it's safe, you're only 1/2 hour or so south from me (I'm in Boonton).  How long have you been playing the Theremin?

I can relate to that! You’re quite close! I’m a complete theremin newbie - just took it up recently. I’ve been taking lessons with Lydia Kavina and attending her weekly workshops. At the moment, I’m quite terrible at it  On the other hand, I’ve been a musician all of my life and play bassoon & contrabassoon in many orchestras, operas, etc.

Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:51 AM
Gibarian

I tinkered with a user interface mock-up for an open source app.

Posted: 1/31/2021 1:25:57 PM
dewster

Beautiful Gibarian!  Is that written in Ctrlr?  I'm looking for DIY GUI software like this that can control a serial port, rather than a MIDI port.

Posted: 1/31/2021 2:09:48 PM
ContraDude

I tinkered with a user interface mock-up for an open source app.

That’s really impressive!!

Posted: 1/31/2021 7:54:52 PM
Ruslan

Beautiful Gibarian!  Is that written in Ctrlr?  I'm looking for DIY GUI software like this that can control a serial port, rather than a MIDI port.

If this can help you with D-Lev development, I probably am willing to help. Have some fresh experience in development of cross-platform GUI applications (using Qt framework), that works with serial ports. Can PM you couple of screenshots if you want. Let's design and build this application together

Posted: 2/1/2021 3:27:33 PM
dewster

"If this can help you with D-Lev development, I probably am willing to help. Have some fresh experience in development of cross-platform GUI applications (using Qt framework), that works with serial ports. Can PM you couple of screenshots if you want. Let's design and build this application together"  - Ruslan

Thanks so much Ruslan!  I'll PM you.

Posted: 2/4/2021 7:27:41 PM
Amethyste

Hi GUYS!!!!
I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Lol.

I would like to order one, but as you know, I am almost deaf in my right ear and I REALLY need to have a pitch preview.
How hard would it be to make this happen? I remember I needed to have something soldered inside the Pro to make this happen. It was an octave lower in tone i think and had to get am battery operated amplifier (by VOX) to "be able to hear" the signal.

Let me know your thoughts on this...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.