Claravox Centennial Theremin - Post Your Thoughts Here

Posted: 2/4/2021 8:41:36 PM
pitts8rh

Hi Amethyste,

I don't think anyone here knows for sure yet what's inside, but I can assure you that pitch preview is number one on my priority list too, and I'll be digging around inside as soon as I get it.  For now we know that the tuner output is a fixed (not volume-modulated) output and there is a good chance that the front headphone jack and its volume control could be routed to the fixed signal.  I think that the exclusion of any pitch preview on a presumably pro-level instrument was really ill-advised, and perhaps shows that they had a relatively small group (if a group at all) of players with which to consult.

For the short term the tuner output can be routed through an external mixer for PP, and that would even give some opportunity for some filtering on what will probably be a buzzy square wave output.  But stay tuned, pitch preview is a first priority for me too, and I'll be looking into it right away.

Posted: 2/6/2021 8:43:14 AM
hudri

Hi, I am waiting for my Claravox ordered in October, this is what my dealer sent me yesterday:

I just received information from Moog regarding the Claravox. Production should start in the second quarter this year. I suppose deliver in May.

My apologies for the delay, but it is Moog issue.

So they still have not even started production...

Posted: 2/6/2021 1:13:27 PM
pitts8rh

I guess if you're going to market a "Centennial" model of a product you should really try to make sure you can produce it in the hundredth anniversary year of its invention.  If they continue to have supply line problems that keep pushing the delivery date out perhaps they should scratch off that centennial moniker and just call it the Claravox.

I'm half kidding (more like 80% kidding) because it's entirely possible that they underestimated the demand, or perhaps they have found something in the design that needed attention.  I would prefer to wait while they get it right rather than have the need to correct early units for some flaw if this is indeed the case.  Other than the wait it's not a great problem if you have the preorder on credit card that only charges when it ships, although enough time has passed that I've already had to give updated credit card information to my dealer.  And if you used Paypal I think that gets charged immediately at order time.

Posted: 2/6/2021 2:00:46 PM
ContraDude

Production should start in the second quarter this year.

This is extremely disappointing and the lack of communication from Moog is disturbing. To date, I’ve also heard nothing from my dealer. I had to pay for mine at the time of my order (although I got a very good price). While any delays due to technical issues that need to be fixed are certainly understandable (obviously, it would not be good if the Claravox was faulty on arrival), Moog should, at the very least, be more forthcoming about what is going on. Ugh! I think I’ll write to my dealer and see if they’ve received any updates from Moog. Hopefully, Moog won’t rename it the Claravox Millennial Edition.

Posted: 2/6/2021 8:47:24 PM
Doug

I read this article yesterday about “chipageddon.”  It says that some car makers may have to wait some 40 weeks for their chip order.  Maybe this is the problem?

How will 'chipageddon' affect you? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55936011 

Posted: 2/7/2021 5:16:35 AM
johnthom

I'm guessing from your post that I bought mine from the same place you did.  I paid for mine Oct 26th.  I'm hoping that my order is in some queue at Moog and not just at the place I bought from and that it will ship from Moog to me directly.  Getting a little nervous.

Production should start in the second quarter this year.This is extremely disappointing and the lack of communication from Moog is disturbing. To date, I’ve also heard nothing from my dealer. I had to pay for mine at the time of my order (although I got a very good price). While any delays due to technical issues that need to be fixed are certainly understandable (obviously, it would not be good if the Claravox was faulty on arrival), Moog should, at the very least, be more forthcoming about what is going on. Ugh! I think I’ll write to my dealer and see if they’ve received any updates from Moog. Hopefully, Moog won’t rename it the Claravox Millennial Edition.

Posted: 2/7/2021 6:11:44 AM
ContraDude

I'm guessing from your post that I bought mine from the same place you did.  I paid for mine Oct 26th.  I'm hoping that my order is in some queue at Moog and not just at the place I bought from and that it will ship from Moog to me directly.  Getting a little nervous.

I bought mine just a few days before it was announced that there was a delay - I believe it was on December 13th. At that time, based on all of the information available, shipping was imminent and purchases would be accepted through the end of the year. Obviously, neither of those were true. I had to make my first regular payment in January (in addition to my down payment); by that time it was evident that there was going to be a potentially lengthy delay. I wasn’t about to pay any more interest so I paid it off.

i’ve written to the merchant a couple of times (after the latest posts here) only to be told that they’ll contact me after they hear from Moog. Moog, on the other hand, merely responds with a form letter (I’ve posted that previously) that claims they provide regular updates to their dealers - both seem to point their fingers at each other. 

Moog’s web site continues to state that the Claravox “will be shipping by the end of the year” - presumably, they mean the end of 2020. 

Posted: 2/7/2021 2:48:26 PM
ContraDude

I just heard from my dealer; here’s what they said:

Sorry for the inconvenience. There are some delays going on with the manufacturer, we are expecting fulfillment in March/April of this product right now.

Posted: 2/7/2021 3:46:55 PM
Guillaume

First week of March is 3 weeks away, end of April is just short of 12 weeks away... doesn't sound like there's much of a commitment there!

Posted: 2/7/2021 5:42:27 PM
JPascal

Thomann (Germany) promises at the moment a delivery time between 10 to 13 weeks. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.