Silent movie soundtrack commissioned by The Metropolitan Museum

Posted: 1/3/2021 12:04:12 AM
RSchwim

Thanks, Contra Dude! Much appreciated! What are you playing in your photo?
Rob

Posted: 1/3/2021 1:19:40 AM
ContraDude

You’re welcome, Rschwim! I’m a bassoonist and a contrabassoonist by training. I’m playing my contrabassoon (contra) in my picture. It may be one of the only instruments stranger than the theremin. The contra is the lowest instrument on the orchestra - most, including mine, go down to Bb0 (29.14 Hz); some will go down an additional half step to A0 (27.5 Hz) - the lowest note on the piano but the contra is much more powerful. It’s lower than the both the tuba and the double basses. On a “good day,” it sounds like an elephant with stomach problems  It’s used in large orchestral pieces and some chamber music. While I’m primarily a bassoonist, I often play contra too as there are so few of us around.

Here’s one recording, that was made just before the pandemic, in which you can hear me (again, it’s the lowest instrument) and you’ll need fairly good speakers to hear it: New York Kammermusiker

Posted: 1/3/2021 1:36:21 AM
RSchwim

Wow! That sounds just fantastic!! Amazing and bravo!

The bassoonists I’m friends with are Michael Rabinowitz, Johnny Reinhard, and Sara Schoenbeck but my friend who has all sorts of crazy instruments is Scott Robinson. Are you friends with any of that bunch? I played with theremin, piano and Continuum with Scott’s Orchestra of the Impossible (w. Rabinowitz) and with Johnny and Sara on Johnny’s microtonal festival...

Posted: 1/3/2021 2:12:14 AM
RSchwim

ContraDude—Not sure if you know him but the excellent thereminist Randy George is a bassoonist.

Posted: 1/3/2021 2:12:15 AM
RSchwim

ContraDude—Not sure if you know him but the excellent thereminist Randy George is a bassoonist.

Posted: 1/3/2021 3:16:35 AM
ContraDude

Hi RSchwim,

Thank you very much! I’m afraid I don’t (yet) know any of your friends but I’m still fairly new to the NYC metro area (I moved to NJ five years from California). I was playing with quite a few groups in NYC (mostly orchestras and opera companies) before the pandemic hit.

Somehow, it doesn’t surprise me that bassoonists would be attracted to bizarre instruments (bassoon is certainly a bizarre instrument). I’ve always been fascinated with strange things that make music. My first bassoon teacher, many many decades ago (he’s been gone for a long time) used to collect instruments. I know he had act least one theremin and, while I never saw it, suspect it must have been very old (an RCA, perhaps?).

While I’ve been a bassoonist/contrabassoonist all my life and, without question, that is always nearest and dearest to me, I LOVE learning wacky new instruments. I finally took up an instrument that I always fascinated me, the Great Highland bagpipes (they’re also EXTREMELY difficult to play, I had a very serious health problem back in 2017 and haven’t played since (hopefully, someday). Anyway, I just stumbled on the Theremin again and very recently decided to give it a try - what a blast and such a beautiful and strange instrument at the same time! So, here I am now. I’ve got a Burns B3 and a Theremini but already like the Burns best. Even though I’m a rank beginner, I’ve ordered a Claravox - I can’t wait!

Anyway, I thought your music for the Met Film was fantastic! 

Posted: 1/3/2021 4:06:23 AM
RSchwim

Thanks so much! Always great to hear nice feedback!

Great you’re getting a Claravox! Of course I’m interested but have too many already... theremin infestation! Anyway when this crazy period is all over I hope to get to see your contrabassoon! 

(Re the bassoonists I mentioned Johnny is a noted and very serious microtonal god (runs the Microtonal Music Festival) and very serious player as is Sara. Michael is one of the top jazz bassoonists. Randy is a top thereminist but started out as a bass on player.)

Posted: 1/3/2021 4:06:48 AM
RSchwim

Thanks so much! Always great to hear nice feedback!Great you’re getting a Claravox! Of course I’m interested but have too many already... theremin infestation! Anyway when this crazy period is all over I hope to get to see your contrabassoon! (Re the bassoonists I mentioned Johnny is a noted and very serious microtonal god (runs the Microtonal Music Festival) and very serious player as is Sara. Michael is one of the top jazz bassoonists. Randy is a top thereminist but started out as a bass on player.)

In case you wanted to YouTube or Google them

Posted: 1/3/2021 4:06:49 AM
RSchwim

Thanks so much! Always great to hear nice feedback!Great you’re getting a Claravox! Of course I’m interested but have too many already... theremin infestation! Anyway when this crazy period is all over I hope to get to see your contrabassoon! (Re the bassoonists I mentioned Johnny is a noted and very serious microtonal god (runs the Microtonal Music Festival) and very serious player as is Sara. Michael is one of the top jazz bassoonists. Randy is a top thereminist but started out as a bass on player.)

In case you wanted to YouTube or Google them

Posted: 1/3/2021 4:29:30 AM
ContraDude

You’re very welcome!! I’m just starting my Theremin collection but with the Claravox, I should be just fine and will probably all I’ll ever need.

So fascinating about a microtonal bassoonist! Hopefully, I’ll get to meet your friends some day although I’ve always been a very “legit” bassoonist - I can spell the word “jazz” but that’s about it as far as my own skills, or lack of them, are concerned. I’ll search for your friends on the ‘net. FYI, my real name is Jeff La Marca.

I’m sitting here watching the Theremin 100 Festival now on YouTube  So interesting! 

Great to meet you! Hopefully, this pandemic will be over soon so that we can get back to playing live music!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.