Etherwave Standard

Posted: 6/26/2021 4:37:56 PM
tnewbie

I would like to hear people’s opinion on rarely/never used old EWS (say 6-10 years old).

On the one hand electronics does not easily degrade, yet I have heard that they tend to fair better being used than being neglected. 

Specifically how would sparingly used old EWS fare? 

Also, I seemed to have come across comments that there are issues with “older” models (how old is old?)  I forget what they are or if they are terribly pertinent to playing.

Thanks!

Posted: 6/26/2021 4:57:25 PM
pitts8rh

The only components that I know of in the Etherwave that are getting hard to find are the several RF inductors that are connected in series just before the antennas.  The LM13600 or LM13700 ICs are obsolete but that doesn't mean much because they are still widely available.

If this is something that you are considering buying make sure it comes with an original power adapter - these are now getting scarce too as the Etherwaves are no longer in production apparently.  The other thing I forgot to mention is if this is an older model it may use Toko brand variable inductors which were later replaced with Coilcraft brand. If anything goes wrong with one of these then the repair is a little more extensive that you might want to take on.

Everything else is pretty much currently available, I think.

I would at least get the serial number and manufacturer data off the bottom too - Moog is more recent, but if it has Big Briar listed that would be an older model.  Find out if it works or at least makes sound (likely needs a tune up) and has all the accessories (antennas, power supply, tuning tool if you're lucky).  If it's not local see if you can get the seller to remove the bottom screws and cover and take a picture of the inside, and you can post it here.

6-10 years old for a theremin isn't old as far as aging components are concerned.  Mine is about 5 years old and it works like new. Just don't pay inflated prices.  Some are asking upwards of $1k since they went out of production, which is insane.  

Posted: 6/26/2021 6:20:36 PM
tnewbie

The only components that I know of in the Etherwave that are getting hard to find are the several RF inductors that are connected in series just before the antennas.  The LM13600 or LM13700 ICs are obsolete but that doesn't mean much because they are still widely available. If this is something that you are considering buying make sure it comes with an original power adapter - these are now getting scarce too as the Etherwaves are no longer in production apparently.  The other thing I forgot to mention is if this is an older model it may use Toko brand variable inductors which were later replaced with Coilcraft brand. If anything goes wrong with one of these then the repair is a little more extensive that you might want to take on.

Do I need to be concerned if a unit uses Toko or Coilcraft? Presumably if the theremin still functions, the risk of failure is just a normal burden of ownership.

https://instrumentalparts.com/keyboard-parts/moog-spare-parts/moog-etherwave-theremins-standard-spare-parts/ shows that the PCB costs $96 -- this seems to be the main component. (One could almost build one from the parts listed on the web site!)

Everything else is pretty much currently available, I think.I would at least get the serial number and manufacturer data off the bottom too - Moog is more recent, but if it has Big Briar listed that would be an older model.  Find out if it works or at least makes sound (likely needs a tune up) and has all the accessories (antennas, power supply, tuning tool if you're lucky).  If it's not local see if you can get the seller to remove the bottom screws and cover and take a picture of the inside, and you can post it here.6-10 years old for a theremin isn't old as far as aging components are concerned.  Mine is about 5 years old and it works like new. Just don't pay inflated prices.  Some are asking upwards of $1k since they went out of production, which is insane.

Good advice.

I'm not sure what is a fair price since few are available for sale though I am guessing many are just languishing in people's collection ...

Put another way, what price would you consider a "steal"??

Posted: 6/26/2021 7:02:46 PM
pitts8rh

"Do I need to be concerned if a unit uses Toko or Coilcraft? Presumably if the theremin still functions, the risk of failure is just a normal burden of ownership."

That's a valid point as long as you can get some use out of the working theremin and not have to deal with fixing it right away. Chances are that sooner or later you will also need to tune one of those coils.  If you use the right plastic tool it's usually safe but read elsewhere in the recent posts and you'll see someone that broke the ferrite core using a metal tool, and now it's a coil that need to be replaced.  I see what you're saying but find out what model it is first and then if it's an older one you'll want a bargain price.

"https://instrumentalparts.com/keyboard-parts/moog-spare-parts/moog-etherwave-theremins-standard-spare-parts/ shows that the PCB costs $96 -- this seems to be the main component. (One could almost build one from the parts listed on the web site!)"

If they still have them that's worth considering, although they may not be in stock long. And you're right, that is the main component.  The rest is just wires and potentiometers.  Moog used to sell these for under $70 but they no longer offer them.  I bought one board from the place you mention and later wised up and got the rest directly from Moog. If the theremin is cheap enough that you want to cover yourself with an extra board, go for it.  You may not need it, but you can probably get rid of it later if you don't.

"I'm not sure what is a fair price since few are available for sale though I am guessing many are just languishing in people's collection ...

Put another way, what price would you consider a "steal"??"

Look at Sold items on eBay and look for the earliest ones since they only go back for a short time. I guess I would consider anything under $200 for an EW Standard or $250 for an EW Plus to be a pretty decent price, and probably hard to find on Ebay, but maybe not on Craigslist or a word of mouth deal. Personally I would stay away from the older units (Big Briar), but if it's a real steal you can probably pass it along if it doesn't work out.  Unfortunately I think a lot of people look at what others are currently asking for prices on eBay instead of what they have previously sold for, and that creates an inflation that you see now.

Posted: 6/30/2021 11:29:58 PM
edavid

If this is something that you are considering buying make sure it comes with an original power adapter - these are now getting scarce too as the Etherwaves are no longer in production apparently.

Moog power supplies have been showing up pretty regularly on eBay.

https://instrumentalparts.com/keyboard-parts/moog-spare-parts/moog-etherwave-theremins-standard-spare-parts/ shows that the PCB costs $96 -- this seems to be the main component.

Check again, not orderable - it's been at least a year since you could actually order any Moog parts from that site.

Posted: 6/30/2021 11:33:31 PM
tnewbie

Thanks for your comments.

It looks like any future maintenance will have to come from Moog or another source.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.