Is Open.Theremin.UNO worth it? Cannot it be drastically simplified?

Posted: 3/5/2015 11:13:20 AM
xtheremin8

might this help?  ...thierry, you have good singing...as a man with profound knowledge on maths and programming:-)  i also studied at the local university,  only for which tram I should take to get home. I now them from the outside very well. so i'm more the visual guy and geometrical educated and my programming knowledge is reduced to cnc-machinery for stonecutting... as i understand that wave programming, it is based on a x/y grid, x for the 1030 lines and y for the -2048/+2047 values? more or less like on a oscilloscope? i understand "copy-paste" but not " serial monitor". i have to check that arduino stuff in a quiter moment, to understand more. you explained very nice on another waveform thread about triangle wave and that makes sense to me. frankly, i don't have the time or nerves to type all those values, just for a result i don't like. any www resource that explains it to average joe?

he urs, sorry for being too ill to discuss things last time we met. one board went to a befriended music-teacher and he likes it a lot. not only musically but also because of the simplicity of the handling. i just swapped the knob led, (brillant idea) with a slow changing rainbow led. no interferences. some people call me the space cowboy...

elmo: the sneaky positioning... makes it so versatile for using it in the rehearsal, along with a trombone and guitars and not much free space anyway. it accommodates the playing field to nearly every theremin-unfriendly area. 

Posted: 3/5/2015 11:27:00 AM
Thierry

The serial monitor is part of the Arduino IDE, the programming environment one uses to create, to modify and/or to upload code (sketches) to the Arduino. Everybody who deals with Arduinos forcibly knows that IDE and should be familiar with it as a "conditio sine qua non" as we say in Latin. Once you master it, you will not longer fear uploading slightly modified code again and again until you obtain the desired result.

The serial monitor can be launched in the Tools menu of the Arduino IDE and allows to see everything which the Arduino outputs via its serial interface (also great for debugging your code). What I suggested was writing a small program which calculates the needed 1023 function values and outputs them in that serial monitor, so that they can be copied and pasted in another file. I'm at my day job for now, but I will try post an example here in the next days.

The mathematical stuff I wrote about is what you learn in the 10th or 11th year of scolarity when you are 16 or 17 years old. At least it was on the program around 1980 since I got my "Matura" in 1983. 

Posted: 3/5/2015 1:13:05 PM
xtheremin8

thierry, i would love to hear some more of your explanations, of course if you have time to. stupid me found the serial monitor...btw.: i just miss the creative point of the whole programming fun, maybe some people understand abstract stuff easy and some don't.

different education: i quit school at the 8 year, age 17, just to start shaping stones for the next 30 years, and the master-diploma came not for free, but almost math free.

Posted: 3/5/2015 2:20:24 PM
dewster

Gaudi, I think the limitations of the Arduino are really holding you back at this point.  There are lots of processor project boards out there now, you might even find one with integrated audio DAC.

Posted: 3/5/2015 10:50:45 PM
gaudi

Ah, nice idea Thierry, a theremin that generates it's own lookup table. Do you have a equation in mind with some parameters that would generate nice theremin sounds. Would love to play with such a sketch and put it on the website.

Posted: 3/6/2015 8:06:40 AM
Thierry

I will write a wave generator sketch with 2 adjustable parameters this weekend. Stay tuned and be surprised!

Posted: 3/8/2015 8:46:15 PM
Thierry

Here, as promised, a full article and the code: Click

There are two adjustable parameters in the code: "waveform" and "brightness". Yes, that's fully intended! :-)

Posted: 3/9/2015 5:12:38 AM
elmo7sharp9

Great... I'll play with this later, after work.

Posted: 3/9/2015 6:08:51 PM
xtheremin8

Thierry, a thousand thank yous. for doing so much, for such a little theremin. 

it explains far more then what i tried to get answered by my questions i had, about that waveform programming. what i learned after a quick view on that brilliant pdf. is, that my thinking about those axes was on the right path.:-)

that also answers the first question of this thread: yes, it does.

Posted: 3/9/2015 8:35:26 PM
Thierry

This "such a little Open.Theremin" is much better playable and is much more musical than the Theremini, thus it deserves full attention.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.